OSHA fines USPS $272,000 for lack of arc flash training

Status
Not open for further replies.

zog

The U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration has cited the U.S. Postal Service for workplace safety violations related to electrical hazards found at the Capitol Heights Processing and Distribution Center. Proposed penalties total $272,000.

"These citations and sizable fines reflect the Postal Service's failure to equip its workers with the necessary knowledge and skills to safely work with live electrical parts," said Assistant Secretary of Labor for OSHA Dr. David Michaels. "The Postal Service knew that proper and effective training was needed for the safety of its workers but did not provide it."

For those who think they don't need 70E training, think again.

Full Story Here:
http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=NEWS_RELEASES&p_id=17970

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration has cited the U.S. Postal Service for workplace safety violations related to electrical hazards found at the Capitol Heights Processing and Distribution Center. Proposed penalties total $272,000.

"These citations and sizable fines reflect the Postal Service's failure to equip its workers with the necessary knowledge and skills to safely work with live electrical parts," said Assistant Secretary of Labor for OSHA Dr. David Michaels. "The Postal Service knew that proper and effective training was needed for the safety of its workers but did not provide it."

For those who think they don't need 70E training, think again.

Full Story Here:
http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=NEWS_RELEASES&p_id=17970
The beining of a trend?

As a taxpayer however, I find this a bit disturbing; one government agency fining another (albeit the USPS is not supported by the General Fund). In the mean time, postal rates go up and we pay for it all, including the time OSHA spent determining the fine needed to happen...

dbuckley

... "The Postal Service knew that proper and effective training was needed for the safety of its workers but did not provide it."
That'll be why they got slapped fairly hard.

It doesn't matter which way the cookie crumbles, there are costs to working live, costs that just go away if you can arrange you don't need to work live.

For installations that need power to always be on, high availability power is a design issue; the need for hot working should be designed out.

zog

The beining of a trend?

As a taxpayer however, I find this a bit disturbing; one government agency fining another (albeit the USPS is not supported by the General Fund). In the mean time, postal rates go up and we pay for it all, including the time OSHA spent determining the fine needed to happen...

Not a begining, I get these notices nearly everyday, from all parts of the industry. But I tend to agree with you on the taxpayer side of the coin. Good news is they will likely settle this one for around $30k

Ruff-N

Government $$$ waste

Government $$$ waste

What I would like to know is how OSHA comes up with these fines in dollar amounts, and where does the fine money go :-?. Can you say OSHA summer bash employee appreciation party on the island man :grin:.

wtucker

What I would like to know is how OSHA comes up with these fines in dollar amounts, and where does the fine money go :-?. Can you say OSHA summer bash employee appreciation party on the island man :grin:.

They come up with the fines from a formula in their Field Operations Manual (http://www.osha.gov/OshDoc/Directive_pdf/CPL_02-00-148.pdf) which takes into account the liklihood that somebody'll get hurt and the most credible seriousness of the injury. And the money goes to the U.S. Treasury.

WorkSafe

USPS can get a monetary fine because of the big lobby organizations for FedEx, UPS, etc. Those companies faught hard claiming USPS is in the same business as them, USPS should follow the same rules and such.

pfalcon

OSHA fining USPS is pointless bureaucracy. Money is transferred from one government body to another while taxing us to pay for the transfer.

If OSHA is serious about fixing USPS then the fines need to be leveled at the USPS managers to be paid from private funds. They otherwise have no vested interest in fixing this.

Post Distribution Center Fines

Post Distribution Center Fines

The fines are for larger distribution centers. I have had MANY postal workers attend our free classes at ASSE and NSC and they did struggle trying to get electrical safety training. I allowed some to come for classes free but can't do it all free. This is what happens when you tick off your union on safety. I definitely don't want to see government waste but NFPA 70E compliance for the postal distribution centers (there are 35 according to one of the reports) isn't that hard. I know UPS's largest hub in Louisville, KY has had a program since before 2004. Why can't the postal service do that. It costs more to maim one worker with our heads in the sand that it does to comply.

Bilbo111

electrical safety, USPS

electrical safety, USPS

OSHA has recently fined Pittsburgh, Denver, Providence, Philadelphia and other mail processing and distribution centers upwards of .5 million each for systemic failures to train and equip postal employees for the electrical tasks they are asked to perform.
Building Equipment Mechanics would usually be limited to working on power panels up to 600volts, and Technicians and Mail Processing Mechanics maintain mail processing equipment from the machine disconnects in. (usually 208 3 ph but not always)
Part of the problem is non-technical people in managerial/supervisor positions without a clearly defined and understood electrical work program. I have never met an Electrical Engineer.
I was given carbon x FR gloves, a FR 8 cal jacket, hard hat with 12 cal face shield, and told I could be asked to do level 2 & 3 PPE work. I have no problem working on level 2 PPE 3 ph 208v machines that I maintain. I can do my job, and do it safely. But the USPS has no problem asking you to do someone elses job. And they don't want to be limited in doing so. I am not familiar with specific hazards associated with 277V lighting panels, or 460V distribution. I have had no NEC training, no CPR training, no special tools or training to use them. Hazards are not identified on equipment panels as required. I am not an electrician, I am an electronics technician. The USPS insists I have the necessary knowledge and skills. The Carbon X Mech gloves do not appear to have a voltage rating. Is it required for level 3 PPE work?
When I was a custodian, I was asked to investigate a 460V panel. It had tripped, so I reset it. They said I was qualified to do it. Educate me a little bit, and I promise not to harm myself over it.:roll:

PS. I think there are over 400 large facilities in the postal network. Distribution Centers typically provide service to multiple zip zones.

WorkSafe

No wonder why the Postal Service is so broke, they keep having to pay these fines. Now, if they could find a way to keep their employees safe, they wouldn't have to worry about it.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
The beining of a trend?

I think it may be intended as just a creative means of federal budget reallocation. One dept thinks it's under budgeted so it sues one it thinks is over funded. USPS is a bit different though, since technically it?s now a private-sector operation.

Electric-Light

OSHA fining USPS is pointless bureaucracy. Money is transferred from one government body to another while taxing us to pay for the transfer.

If OSHA is serious about fixing USPS then the fines need to be leveled at the USPS managers to be paid from private funds. They otherwise have no vested interest in fixing this.

It maybe, but money is the driver of organizations, public or private. If they are exempt from fines, they'd get away with way too much crap playing the "we're a government agency, we can get away with whatever" card.

Status
Not open for further replies.