Emergecny light connected to outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are being sited on an existing condition on a project saying the emergency light wall mounted being fed from a duplex outlet that is mounted below the ceiling needs to be upgraded to a direct connection, all existing oultets are below ceiling level, I cannot find anything saying this would be against NEC.

elohr46

We are being sited on an existing condition on a project saying the emergency light wall mounted being fed from a duplex outlet that is mounted below the ceiling needs to be upgraded to a direct connection, all existing oultets are below ceiling level, I cannot find anything saying this would be against NEC.

It looks like it's allowed by nec2008 700.12 (F), possibly a local amendment prohibits it.

raider1

Staff member
Keep in mind that the receptacle that supplies the unit equipment must be on the same circuit that supplies the normal area lighting. See the last paragraph of 700.12(F).

Chris

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Keep in mind that the receptacle that supplies the unit equipment must be on the same circuit that supplies the normal area lighting. See the last paragraph of 700.12(F).

Chris

That's true but he said it was existing and at one time "I believe" emergency lights were not
required to be on the lighting circuit.
Although it's been awhile.

Jim W in Tampa

One of its perposes is to provide lights should the lights go off. Now if that receptacle is also the same one feeding the lights in that area then i think it passes. But that almost never is the case in commercial. As to existing that will be up to ahj and fire marshal.

iwire

Staff member
How would the emergency lights know if they needed to turn on?

When the power goes out they will turn on.:grin:

The receptacle would still have to be supplied by the local lighting circuit or be a dedicated circuit with a breaker lock on if the space was large, open and had more than two lighting circuits.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
That is why it is violation.

I agree, which is why I asked him the question.

Edited: I didn't mean to suppose the OP was in violation. I'm strictly talking about an emergency lighting system that didn't have to be on the same circuit as some lights.

Last edited:

hurk27

We are being sited on an existing condition on a project saying the emergency light wall mounted being fed from a duplex outlet that is mounted below the ceiling needs to be upgraded to a direct connection, all existing outlets are below ceiling level, I cannot find anything saying this would be against NEC.

unless he found one with the receptacle above a drop ceiling, I have no clue what he could be citing as we have a few places that use plug in Emg lights so they can be swapped out when they go bad. but the receptacles can't be above a drop ceiling?:confused:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Thing is if it's plugged in, then it can be unplugged and the battery could be dead when you need it.

Check in the building code. There is also a section that say's you can't go into and out of a box that feed the emergency lights or exit signs.

Status
Not open for further replies.