Back fed breaker being used as main breaker in a main lug only panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roy Rice

Have a 42 space breaker panel main lug only, 208/120 3 phase 4 wire, rated for 250 Amps (Siemens). A 3 phase 90 Amp breaker was installed at the bottom left and is being used as the main breaker. Is this acceptable standards in a commercial application?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Unusual but Code compliant on the surface. (the devil may be in the details)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I know certain panel will not accept a retainer clip but it must have one to be compliant.

I have never noticed a back fed rating of a breaker. I am not sure why that would be necessary.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I have never noticed a back fed rating of a breaker. I am not sure why that would be necessary.

I think that by using a breaker that has "line" and "load" terminals as a back-fed breaker, you are violating the listing of the breaker by connecting "line" to the "load" terminals. Maybe its not so much that the breaker is listed as "back-fed" as that it is not listed for "line" and "load."

I remember reading about that issue on the MikeHolt website before. If I could find a link to the article, I'd post it.

iwire

Staff member
Few if any 90 amp CBs will be marked line and load so forward, backward it does not matter.:)

However I do agree if it was marked line and load we would have to respect that labeling.

raider1

Staff member
I think that by using a breaker that has "line" and "load" terminals as a back-fed breaker, you are violating the listing of the breaker by connecting "line" to the "load" terminals. Maybe its not so much that the breaker is listed as "back-fed" as that it is not listed for "line" and "load."

I remember reading about that issue on the MikeHolt website before. If I could find a link to the article, I'd post it.

That information comes from the listing of the breakers.

From what I have been told any breaker that is listed and labeled without a line and load marking have been evaluated and listed for back feeding.

Chris

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Have a 42 space breaker panel main lug only, 208/120 3 phase 4 wire, rated for 250 Amps (Siemens). A 3 phase 90 Amp breaker was installed at the bottom left and is being used as the main breaker. Is this acceptable standards in a commercial application?

I don't have a problem with it, with the details given. It seems a little odd, but it could well be code compliant.

norcal

If it is a bolt-on breaker, no hold down is required, only required on a plug-in type breaker.

408.36(F) 2008 ed.

(D) Back-Fed Devices. Plug-in-type overcurrent protection
devices or plug-in type main lug assemblies that are
backfed and used to terminate field-installed ungrounded
supply conductors shall be secured in place by an additional
fastener that requires other than a pull to release the
device from the mounting means on the panel.

Bolt-on main lug panel w/ back-fed main.

Picture158.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.