Romex in a dropped cieling

Status
Not open for further replies.

newinspector1

I had an inspection this morning in a business that is doing a remodel to make more office space. The electrician has ran romex throughout the building and the contractor stated that they were going to have a suspended cieling. I failed the job b/c of 334.12 A(2). The electrician called and said that it is not considered exposed if it is supported against the top plate. I have not ever heard that. I think I am right, but would like to be sure.

iwire

Staff member
Is there any chance the EC is from MA as we have a rule like that.

But as far the NEC I agree with the failure you gave it.

macmikeman

I've been away from commercial for a number of years other than doing service calls in that arena, so pardon me for a dumb question, but it is sort of on this subject. When referencing the subject of drop ceilings, in regards to 334.12 (A)(2) does this just include t-bar and lift out tile drop ceilings, or is the type that is suspended with heavy duty wires, heavy framing, and drywall instead of lift out tiles also considered as a drop ceiling?

newinspector1

I've been away from commercial for a number of years other than doing service calls in that arena, so pardon me for a dumb question, but it is sort of on this subject. When referencing the subject of drop ceilings, in regards to 334.12 (A)(2) does this just include t-bar and lift out tile drop ceilings, or is the type that is suspended with heavy duty wires, heavy framing, and drywall instead of lift out tiles also considered as a drop ceiling?

I think that it is any type of dropped cieling.

jusme123

Occupation
JW

334.12(A)(2) states 'Exposed in dropped or suspended ceilings. The suspended sheetrock ceiling does not expose the wiring therefore 334.12(A)(2) would not apply.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think that it is any type of dropped cieling.
I disagree. It cannot be exposed if it is behind a dropped ceiling that is sheetrocked. If I run nm cable in an attic with a sheetrock ceiling and some one comes along and adds an acoustical tile suspended ceiling then I believe the nm is code compliant.

If the NM cable is exposed behind an acoustical tile ceiling-- lift out tiles-- then this is a violation.

P.S. - Justme beat me to it.

RICK NAPIER

I would say that if it is a suspended ceiling tiles it is not in compliance using the definition of exposed(as applied to wiring methods) found in article 100. But other suspended ceilings would not be condsidered exposed.

exposed(as applied to wiring methods)-On or attached to the surface or behind panels designed to allow access

Last edited:

jusme123

Occupation
JW
I would say that if it is a suspended ceiling tiles itwas not in compliance using the definition of exposed(as applied to wiring methods) found in article 100. But other suspended ceilings would not be condsidered exposed.

exposed(as applied to wiring methods)-On or attached to the surface or behind panels designed to allow access

If it was a suspended, sheetrock ceiling, 334.12(A)(2) would not apply.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
I guess a better question would be: if a suspended, sheetrock ceilings was installed and had 2' X 2' access doors installed every 15', would that be considered 'panels designed to allow access?' What about a couple of 6" X 6" access doors?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I remember years ago removing a ceiling tile in a Kmart in North Carolina, where there was romex as far as the eye could see! They used emt to a wireway in the exposed stockroom, then changed over to romex out of the back of the wireway, running throughout the store above the ceiling. I don't know if this town had inspections at the time or not. It was probably built in the md-60's

M. D.

Is there any chance the EC is from MA as we have a rule like that.

But as far the NEC I agree with the failure you gave it.

Here is the rule in Massachusetts if any want to try it for next cycle

334.12(A)(2). Revise to read as follows:
(2) In dropped or suspended ceilings in other than one- and two-family and multifamily
dwellings, unless run so as to closely follow the surface of framing members, running boards,
or the equivalent, or unless connected to luminaires or other pieces of electrical equipment in
accordance with 334.30(B)(2).

Chasman

Many suspended ceilings are aslo used for return air.
If this is the case 300.22.C1 would not allow this install.
I do agree with the turn down.

Status
Not open for further replies.