Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CAT 5, Burial Rated, Fire Alarm Cable

CAT 5, Burial Rated, Fire Alarm Cable

I'm doing the office trailer at my church I mentioned recently in another category.

They want me to bury conduits for phone/data, maybe fire alarm too. I may be limited to 1 1/4 PVC, as someone boring under the driveway is limited to 2" bit. I may be able to get 1 1/2, but doubtful, it is right at 2" OD.

Anyone here familiar with CAT 5 rated for underground conduit/burial? How much thicker is it than standard CAT 5? How many could I get into an 1 1/4 conduit about 150 feet long with 3 90's? Do they make a CAT 5 with 25 pairs or so? If so, how thick is it?
    Yes, I'll be happy to do a first class job for less than anyone else and take a dollar a week for 10 years.

Depending on what you need, fiber may be a better solution (smaller jacket for more pairs). I have also used 25-pr cat4, it was maybe 1/2" diameter. Not common, though.

I don't remember CAT 4. 3 & 5 were in use when I 1st studied this at all. 3 of course, is history now for new installs. I've seen a little CAT 6, has plastic divider separating the pairs.

Fiber hasn't been mentioned. The little I've been involved with that, we had to do wide radius 90's everywhere. Not practical in this application.

I forgot to ask if there's any reason shielded fire alarm cable couldn't be run in the same conduit.
    Yes, I'll be happy to do a first class job for less than anyone else and take a dollar a week for 10 years.

Fiber is always a good idea between buildings.

That said, why so many CAT5's? Put a switch in the trailer. [That is an Ethernet switch...]

Quote Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
    I forgot to ask if there's any reason shielded fire alarm cable couldn't be run in the same conduit.
    Others may have more knowledge, but after readin Article 760.26, it seems you can have your fire system cable mixed with other types of circuits as long as the conductor insulation is all rated for the max.
    -Mark

Industrial Occ. Safety & Health

"Remember to pillage before you burn"

Quote Originally Posted by jmellc View Post

Job Specs and I personally hate mixing Fire with anything else. IMHO of course.

Check with the FACP manual also.

And dont forget 760.32. Your gonna need transient protection on both ends, unless they are nonconductive (fiber, non shielded)

You really want that horrible jelly filled cable the telco boys use for use for undeground runs. The standard stuff will eventually get soggy and degrade.

It's called icky-pic, for Plastic Insulated Cable.

And if you insist on copper; that is true.

There are outdoor rated cat5's that are not gel filled. They are rated for above-ground, aerial, and in conduit. Conduit fill would be 10 in 1 1/4". I also would not mix fire alarm and data in the same conduit.

Fiber? Video -

Here's a video I found on pre-terminated fiber cable. In case you don't know how to terminate fiber yourself. Running fiber would save on space.