Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FPE Breaker, Amperage & Time

Here is one method suggested to test breakers.

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/show...ase&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by jimport View Post
    Here is one method suggested to test breakers.
    There is no reasonable way to field test the long time trip rating of small thermal magnetic breakers. Simply loading them up to 200% is not accurate.

Among other things, the trip curves are based on a specific ambient temperature, if you conduct the test at any other temp, the tripping time will be affected and there are no published adjustment factors.
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Quote Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
    New ones, or old shop stock?
    I thought home depot or Lowes was selling new FPE breakers. I don't know who makes them but they are something like $20 each for sp breakers

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    I thought home depot or Lowes was selling new FPE breakers. I don't know who makes them but they are something like $20 each for sp breakers
    It's possible, but I never shop for Fire Producing Equipment breakers so I wouldn't notice them even if they did sell them.

US retailers sell replacement Stab-loc breakers manufactured in China for Connecticut Electric. You are not going to find any new breakers manufactured by Federal Pacific Electric unless they are really old new stock. In Canada Schneider Electric (owner of Square D) markets the Stab-loc design and it is one of the most commonly used today.
    Curt Swartz
    Electrical Contractor

Quote Originally Posted by jim dungar View Post
    Among other things, the trip curves are based on a specific ambient temperature, if you conduct the test at any other temp, the tripping time will be affected and there are no published adjustment factors.
    Publishing a trip curve that is valid over an ambient temperature interval should have the effect of thickening the band on the graph.

Or, if the temperature coefficient of the breaker is known the curve could be corrected for other temperatures but this kind of detail is probably rarely published by CB manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    I saw this but don't know anything about them.

http://www.circuitbreakerservice.com...l-Pacific-FPE/
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Quote Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
    It's possible, but I never shop for Fire Producing Equipment breakers so I wouldn't notice them even if they did sell them.
    Here is a picture of the new FPE breaker from Home Depot. Looks like it is made by UBI???? By the way, this breakers is a dp 30 and runs almost $70.00

The HACR-rated Federal Pacific Thin 30 amp 1 in. Double-Pole Type F UBI Replacement Circuit Breaker is designed for use with Federal Pacific load centers. It can be used with applications up to 13,200 watts, such as hot water heaters, clothes dryers, air conditioners (240-volt, up to 36,000 BTUs) and 240-volt, 1-1/2 - 3 HP electric motors.

For typical applications up to 13,200 watts
    #10-3 copper with ground wire
    120/240 VAC
    Type F for use in Federal Pacific load centers
    Use with 240-volt, 1-1/2 - 3 HP electric motors
    HACR rated
    MFG Brand Name : Federal Pacific
    MFG Model # : UBIF0230N
    MFG Part # : UBIF0230N
    Last edited by Dennis Alwon; 03-05-11 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mphillipps View Post
    I recently replaced a faulty FPE with a new breaker. On this kitchen circuit was a 1500w micro, 1800w toaster, stove fan & light. I explained to the owner that running these appliances will trip the 20 amp breaker.
    To demonstrate, I place my amp meter on the circuits wire and turned on the micro and toaster. The meter read 29 amps. I waited (~1 minute). Nothing.

My understanding is that the DP breakers from FPE were the main issue. I don't believe the replacement ones are an issue. I would think that the issues from years ago do not exist in the new breakers.

Dennis did you read the specs you quoted below the picture.

For typical applications up to 13,200 watts
    #10-3 copper with ground wire
    120/240 VAC