Interesting tranny install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I have to change out this tranny, 480 delta 120/208y. There are two 12?4 NEMA 1 wireways buried under the secondary disco's and a bell box buried with the primary feeder. Grade when we got there was to the bottom of the tranny but as you can see there is a concrete slab about 14"s under grade. (Oops, elevation of grade is wrong, lets bring in 12"s of fill...:roll:) Primary and secondary conduits are 40+ year old RMC so the chances of re-pulling the wire to reach new equipment is slim IMO. Need ideas folks.

Thanks.

MPtranny1.jpg

MPtranny2.jpg

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm thinking replace the wireways and bell box with suitable J-boxes for extensions, and move the transformer away from the roots.

mkgrady

I'm thinking make a large cast in place handhole that has all the UG conduits being terminated into it. Move transformer to a more suitable location nearby with conduits extended to the new transformer location. Padmount the transformer. Splice all cables in hand hole.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Both good ideas and I failed to mention I have an arborist coming out to see how much root I can whack to install handholds.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Id' go with the hand holes. Can you dig up the conduit away from the tree roots and remove the pipe and make the handhole in that location. Even if the primary and secondary handhole are far apart you can re-feed as you see fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.