New 1200amp 120/208 service grounding and bonding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EATDIRT

I have an opportunity to install a new 1200 amp 120/208 volt three phase service in a machine shop. I have never done this big of a service on my own. The big questions are does the switch gear need to be on a pad? It will be located in a shipping and receiving area. Subject to fork truck traffic. Does it need to be guarded? What are the requirements for grounding and bonding of the service? Do I need to run a ground wire to building steel, metal water pipe, and ground rods? The grounding electrode conductor should be 3/0? What size wire do I need to run to the ground rods #4? The biggest service I've done on my own was 600amps 120/208 volt three phase.

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks

raider1

Staff member
I have an opportunity to install a new 1200 amp 120/208 volt three phase service in a machine shop. I have never done this big of a service on my own. The big questions are does the switch gear need to be on a pad?

There is no NEC requirement for a housekeeping pad. There may be an engineering spec requiring it though.

It will be located in a shipping and receiving area. Subject to fork truck traffic. Does it need to be guarded?

If the AHJ deems it subject to physical damage they may require it to be guarded.

What are the requirements for grounding and bonding of the service? Do I need to run a ground wire to building steel, metal water pipe, and ground rods?

You must use al grounding electrodes that are present. (See 250.50)

The grounding electrode conductor should be 3/0?

Should be sized in accordance with 250.66

What size wire do I need to run to the ground rods #4?

The sole connection to a ground rod need not be larger than a #6. (See 250.66(A))

The biggest service I've done on my own was 600amps 120/208 volt three phase.

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks

Hope this helps,

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.