house service upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceb58

In my area the homeowner makes the first contact to have an engineer come out to look the job over, this is where I meet the engineer to explain whats going to be done. He then gives a job # for reference when we are ready for the change over. A call with the reference # is all that is needed

electricmanscott

You should call the POCO and ask them what their policy is. Where I am, some you call first, some you never call, either way it is always the electrician that calls. It varies from location to location.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Can you provide more info on what is existing ?

If there is an old meter that requires a meter adapter for a temp. fit to the new meter enclosure you'll have to get the adapter from the POCO. Once you do the upgrade the municipal inspector will send in a "cut-in" card to the POCO and they'll take it from there. If they want to upgrade the triplex that's up to them. This is the way it's done out here in NJ. Can't speak for Illinois.

220/221

Seems like a very odd question.

Add it to your pricing thread and I am shaking my head.

How did you get a licence without knowing basics like this?

satcom

He may of bought his license from Sears when they were running a sale!

It really does make you wonder.

fridaymean

First,

I have to ask, did you get a permit. In most Chicago Suburbs, after you pass inspection, the village contacts ComEd to do the permanent splices (if overhead - alot of that area is) and install the meter and place there seal tag on the closure.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
220/221 said:

satcom said:
He may of bought his license from Sears when they were running a sale!

It really does make you wonder.
It's only the guy's 2nd post. The least you can do is let him get his feet wet a few times before wire brushing him.:roll:

satcom

It's only the guy's 2nd post. The least you can do is let him get his feet wet a few times before wire brushing him.:roll:

Not to worry the inspection process, and the utility inspectors will make sure he gets his feet wet.

satcom

I think you're being a bit too condescending to the new guy. He's here for answers, not scolding.

And how did you first learn how to work with the utility company? if he does not know the system, it can be a real trip for him, if he is that sensitive, electrical contracting may not be for him, but if he is licensed and a supervisor as his profile states, the questions he asked just do not make sense.

Rewire

That may be, but even a commercial electrician has to work with the utility companies, Scott gave the best advice.

Depends on the size of the project ,alot of projects I worked the POCO had an engineer assigned to the job and he would contact you.But because each POCO is different the only sound advice would be to contact the POCO you are dealing with.

satcom

Depends on the size of the project ,alot of projects I worked the POCO had an engineer assigned to the job and he would contact you.But because each POCO is different the only sound advice would be to contact the POCO you are dealing with.

Yup, in new jersey, we need to notify the poco anytime we install, plan to install, or upgrade any service, and they also want the load calcs on new or upgrade services if there is any load change, then an assigned meter inspector/engineer will help you with the details, and inspection.

Rewire

Yup, in new jersey, we need to notify the poco anytime we install, plan to install, or upgrade any service, and they also want the load calcs on new or upgrade services if there is any load change, then an assigned meter inspector/engineer will help you with the details, and inspection.

We deal with alot of CO-OPs and i have found they are much easier to work with than the big corporate utilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.