Does this exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhfire77

3/4" EMT box connector (set screw or compression) that has a 1/2" EMT threaded fitting.

For example I have a device's back box that has a 1/2" EMT threaded opening. The job spec calls for all 3/4" or larger. I do not want to transition in a J-box or C-body because its ugly. It's permissible on the job, but I want a cleaner look.

Any thoughts?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Personally I feel that a 1/2" KO negates the use of the 3/4" conduit. Can you change the box? I am sure there is a fitting out there but I don't know of any. Best I can think of is a short piece of 1/2" EMT with a connector on the end. Then use a 3/4" rigid coupling with a reducing bushing for 1/2" on one end.

iwire

Staff member
3/4" EMT box connector (set screw or compression) that has a 1/2" EMT threaded fitting.

For example I have a device's back box that has a 1/2" EMT threaded opening. The job spec calls for all 3/4" or larger. I do not want to transition in a J-box or C-body because its ugly. It's permissible on the job, but I want a cleaner look.

Any thoughts?

Crouse-Hinds part number REA12

pdf page 7

http://www.crouse-hinds.com/catalog/PDFS/Section7F.pdf

That particular one may be pricey because it is listed for hazardous locations but I am sure other make them.

nhfire77

Personally I feel that a 1/2" KO negates the use of the 3/4" conduit. Can you change the box? I am sure there is a fitting out there but I don't know of any. Best I can think of is a short piece of 1/2" EMT with a connector on the end. Then use a 3/4" rigid coupling with a reducing bushing for 1/2" on one end.

The box is designed for the device, no changing it.

There are probably a dozen different ways to transition, I like your idea.

I was hoping what I posted about existed.

I thought I had seen it a long while back, I got the blank stare at the counter.

wireguru

it does exist, die cast 3/4" emt fitting, but the threaded part that goes into the box is 1/2" I have one sitting around somewhere. I cant remember the brand. You might want to poke around in the crappy fittings at homedepot, that might be where it came from.

nhfire77

it does exist, die cast 3/4" emt fitting, but the threaded part that goes into the box is 1/2" I have one sitting around somewhere. I cant remember the brand. You might want to poke around in the crappy fittings at homedepot, that might be where it came from.

So I wasn't hallucinating this time!

Anyone else see one?

cmreschke

sure it was an emt connector? the old cast set screw style flex connectors will fit a 3/4 emt and have 1/2 threads in it (it is a 1/2" flex connector)

wireguru

sure it was an emt connector? the old cast set screw style flex connectors will fit a 3/4 emt and have 1/2 threads in it (it is a 1/2" flex connector)

dont those have the setscrew at an angle? This fitting has the screw straight, and fits emt perfectly -i dont think 1/2in flex would fit in it.

kwired

Electron manager
Is your 3/4 EMT existing? Otherwise why not run 1/2 inch? They shouldn't have given you a 1/2 inch hub if there were much possibility of needing larger than 1/2 inch for the conductors needed.

nhfire77

Is your 3/4 EMT existing? Otherwise why not run 1/2 inch? They shouldn't have given you a 1/2 inch hub if there were much possibility of needing larger than 1/2 inch for the conductors needed.

pulling one CAT 5 in 1/2" is tight, there is a big difference in 3/4". Plus the job specs are 3/4" minimum with a provision for a transition as "close as practical to the device" to 1/2"

WirenutNH

We use a very similar unit, it has a 3/4" femalr thread on on end and 1/2" male thread on the other. North East electrical dist call them male enlargers but you will have to thread a emt connector into it

Status
Not open for further replies.