Just Curious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davebones

How many people still open 30, 60, 100 amp 208v , 240v , and 480v disconnects and cabinets and take readings with no arc flash protection . We have been pushing this but I know sometimes people get in a hurry and take short cuts !

mxslick

Ru, ro Rastro....I sense another hot-button topic in the making... :grin:

I have no idea how many folks are going to 'fess up to this heinous crime, but I'll bet the debate will get lively. :)

I can confess to checking out cinema equipment (specifically xenon lamp rectifiers) while energized and without proper PPE.

I don't work any panels/disconnects live anymore. (I did in my younger, dumber days while working for EC's)

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
What day of the week is it?

Now that I'm an old fart. De-energized is the way to go.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't want any lecture---I'll fess up.
I don't own arc flash and I rarely shut power down. I never work on more than 240V and yes I know you can get hurt on 240V. You asked I told you and I'll be honest I don't know a resi guy who wears arc flash protection.

cmreschke

i concur ill even go a step further and say that i have done dumber than that without proper ppe. knock on wood i have never been injured but i am a hypocrite about it as i will never allow anyone i have working for me to do the same.

iwire

Staff member
How many people still open 30, 60, 100 amp 208v , 240v , and 480v disconnects and cabinets and take readings with no arc flash protection . We have been pushing this but I know sometimes people get in a hurry and take short cuts !

I could be terminated for doing that.

So now if I decide to work something hot I am risking

• My health / life
  • The customers property
  • My job

If I choose to shut things down I have nothing to loose.

480sparky

I don't want any lecture---I'll fess up.
I don't own arc flash and I rarely shut power down. I never work on more than 240V and yes I know you can get hurt on 240V. You asked I told you and I'll be honest I don't know a resi guy who wears arc flash protection.

I'll be willing to bet good money there's a lot of resi-only people out there who have never even heard of arc-flash protection (Other than "close your eyes and turn your head").

nakulak

guilty as charged. I'm trying to work most stuff deenergized nowadays though, but I still haven't forked out the dough for a moon suit.

iaov

I have sinned almost every day for the last thirty years. Mostly in 480 buckets. I am very deliberate and carefull wich is how I've gotten away with it for 30 years. Tommorow I am going to ride my motor cycle to work, I am going to sin again and if all goes well I will spend the evening scuba diving. Most of the realy fun things in life come with a certain amount of risk.:)

SmithBuilt

I'm getting smarter in my old age. And grumpier. Come to find out I actually like turning peoples power off. Especially when they say nooo we can't because the computers are on.

I charge more for it and move on.

I'll admit I will on occasion use the tester live.

zog

I'm getting smarter in my old age. And grumpier. Come to find out I actually like turning peoples power off. Especially when they say nooo we can't because the computers are on.

I charge more for it and move on.

LOL, that is funny. Now here is a guy that sees the glass half full.

zog

Here is a post that will suprise the people that know me, I really don't think resi work should require arc flash PPE. You won't see a self sustaining arc in a residential system, if I was a resi guy, I would wear class 00 rubber gloves and 100% cotton clothing.

But no electrician should ever, ever, wear meltable fabrics alone or in blends, even a small arc can create enough heat to melt those fabrics into your skin which is very painful to remove. I had to have some polyester cut out of my skin once, nothing to do with an arc flash, polyester filled pillows and candles, not really a forum appropriate story, but anyways it really hurt to have that removed.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
Here is a post that will suprise the people that know me, I really don't think resi work should require arc flash PPE. You won't see a self sustaining arc in a residential system, if I was a resi guy, I would wear class 00 rubber gloves and 100% cotton clothing.

But no electrician should ever, ever, wear meltable fabrics alone or in blends, even a small arc can create enough heat to melt those fabrics into your skin which is very painful to remove. I had to have some polyester cut out of my skin once, nothing to do with an arc flash, polyester filled pillows and candles, not really a forum appropriate story, but anyways it really hurt to have that removed.

As one who's been in a residential arc flash, I would agree, except would add safety glasses to the list. There is molten metal that melted into my safety glasses from that incident.

Awg-Dawg

I'll be willing to bet good money there's a lot of resi-only people out there who have never even heard of arc-flash protection (Other than "close your eyes and turn your head").

You would be suprised on the commercial side also.

I had never heard of it til I came to this site.

I have only seen PPE(Moonsuit) used once and the girl that was using it really
struggled while it was on.

Status
Not open for further replies.