Tie wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommy

What is some thoughts about using tie wire for support of MC and conduit.Some inspectors here do not allow tie wire for MC and I have seen in older Bld's the use of tie wire for conduit.

raider1

Staff member
I personally see no problem with using tie wire to support MC cable.

The NEC does not specifically permit or prohibit the use of tie wire, it is really up to the AHJ to approve the securing and supporting means for MC cable.

Chris

iwire

Staff member
I personally see no problem with using tie wire to support MC cable.

The NEC does not specifically permit or prohibit the use of tie wire, it is really up to the AHJ to approve the securing and supporting means for MC cable.

I agree with Chris on all his points. :)

iwire

Staff member
The problem I hear said is when the tie wire is too tight cutting into the MC

That would have to be pretty darn tight. :confused:

NM is allowed to be supported by wire staples that will with out a doubt damge the NM if over driven by a careless installer.

tommy

On a case of tie wire I received the outside of the box said something like used normally for tie down of steel rod.
Just to say I am not against using tie wire it is on how you installed it like other products.

raider1

Staff member
On a case of tie wire I received the outside of the box said something like used normally for tie down of steel rod

There is nothing that requires the supporting means for MC cable to be listed. It would impossible to list all the applications for tie wire, nor should there be a reason too.

Chris

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
On a case of tie wire I received the outside of the box said something like used normally for tie down of steel rod

But even though hamburger buns may normally be used for hamburgers they work pretty good for egg salad, ham and cheese, bbq, chicken, and in a pinch they will stop a leak long enough to solder a joint. :)

Multi tasking is the thought for the day.

Roger

cmreschke

in the same respect what about tywraps we have been getting shot down on using them because most of what we get are not ul listed.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
in the same respect what about tywraps we have been getting shot down on using them because most of what we get are not ul listed.
As others have said there is no requirement that the supports for MC be listed and there is a specific permission to use cable ties.
330.30 Securing and Supporting.

(A) General. Type MC cable shall be supported and secured by staples, cable ties, straps, hangers, or similar fittings or other approved means designed and installed so as not to damage the cable.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Standard MC straps, EMT straps and Romex staples are not listed either. Ask the inspector where to purchase all this listed hardware.

nakulak

On a case of tie wire I received the outside of the box said something like used normally for tie down of steel rod.
Just to say I am not against using tie wire it is on how you installed it like other products.

I'm curious: where in Maryland did you get turned down on tie wire ?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Maybe we can get the words tie wire added to the code to end this nonsense. Tie wire is ten times stronger than a cheap cable tie but even cable ties are specifically permitted by the NEC.

tommy

I have not been turned down but I had heard from others.
I use tie wire to tie down MC.
I use tie wire to hold conduit down in slab work with stakes.
What about tie wire on conduit and MC in exposed areas?

Status
Not open for further replies.