Securing MC Cable (Maybe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

xguard

To start with I'm not sure if this is MC or AC cable. I don't have much experience with this type of cable, we normally only specify it for very limited applications.

1. Regardless of whether it's MC or AC cable I believe it's required to be secured within 12 inches of termination and isn't.

2. This seems like a mess to me.

3. In general only one of the cables is secured to a framing member using a clamp, the rest of the cables are tied to the clamped cable using cable ties. Is this allowed?

Any other things to note?

Attachments

• 20170418_131404__1492806203_192_234_241_146.jpg
    20170418_131404__1492806203_192_234_241_146.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20170418_131500__1492806247_192_234_241_146.jpg
    20170418_131500__1492806247_192_234_241_146.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 0

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Given that there is a floor in the "attic", some strict inspectors might wonder whether the cable is subject to physical damage where it is in open air.

electricalist

I'd say I've seen it viewed as supported because the cables are laying across framing. And viewed as strapped within 12" because it has a connector on it.

But I personally think it doesn't look very workman like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
To start with I'm not sure if this is MC or AC cable. I don't have much experience with this type of cable, we normally only specify it for very limited applications.

1. Regardless of whether it's MC or AC cable I believe it's required to be secured within 12 inches of termination and isn't.

2. This seems like a mess to me.

3. In general only one of the cables is secured to a framing member using a clamp, the rest of the cables are tied to the clamped cable using cable ties. Is this allowed?

Any other things to note?
That cable is not strapped properly and you are right it's a mess. No you can't strap one piece of cable and zip tie the rest to it.

If you send the same guy that did that work back to fix it it won't be any better the second time.

xguard

I'd say I've seen it viewed as supported because the cables are laying across framing. And viewed as strapped within 12" because it has a connector on it.

But I personally think it doesn't look very workman like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The connector can count as the termination and as the securment?

JFletcher

It is a mess. Several of the cables to the 277/480V box in the second pic are bent so sharply that properly securing them w/o framing up something or using additional j-boxes would be impossible. They look overbent as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.