Thread: electrical outlets above electric baseboard heat

electrical outlets above electric baseboard heat

I cannot remember, but are electrical outlets permitted to be installed above electric baseboard heaters in dwellings? I have a 10' span of baseboard heater and would like to install an outlet within that span. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ken 6789 View Post
    I cannot remember, but are electrical outlets permitted to be installed above electric baseboard heaters in dwellings? I have a 10' span of baseboard heater and would like to install an outlet within that span. Thanks
    It is a manufacturers installation that will not allow receptacles above a baseboard heater. They make an accessory for receptacles at the ends of the heater.

Check this out

210.52 Dwelling Unit Receptacle Outlets.
    This section provides requirements for 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacle outlets. The receptacles required by this section shall be in addition to any receptacle that is:
    (1) Part of a luminaire or appliance, or
    (2) Controlled by a wall switch in accordance with 210.70(A)(1), Exception No. 1, or
    (3) Located within cabinets or cupboards, or
    (4) Located more than 1.7 m (5½ ft) above the floor
    Permanently installed electric baseboard heaters equipped with factory-installed receptacle outlets or outlets provided as a separate assembly by the manufacturer shall be permitted as the required outlet or outlets for the wall space utilized by such permanently installed heaters. Such receptacle outlets shall not be connected to the heater circuits.
    FPN: Listed baseboard heaters include instructions that may not permit their installation below receptacle outlets.

It only shows up as a FPN in 210.52.

Guess I should have refreshed before I posted.. sorry Dennis

We got around that by installing (2) 5-foot sections of BB heat, with the receptacle outlet mounted above the non-heating portions in the center between the 2 units.

Much cheaper than those receptacle accessories made for the units, IMO.

Our inspectors always told us that receptacles had to be at least 1 foot from the end of any electric baseboard heaters if not installed in the heaters as per specs.

Quote Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
    We got around that by installing (2) 5-foot sections of BB heat, with the receptacle outlet mounted above the non-heating portions in the center between the 2 units.

Much cheaper than those receptacle accessories made for the units, IMO.

This is a good idea! Thanks for all replies

unit mounted receptacle

The accessory for the receptacle is for the end of the unit. How useful are these since the need for a receptacle is mostly in the middle of the unit and not at the end where a wall receptacle may be able to be installed?