Solar Photovoltaic Panel & Micro-inverter UL Listed as assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

piguej

Our code requires all equipment to be UL listed and when put together, listed as an assembly. We have contractor who wants to install solar photovoltaic panels on roof with a micro-inverter located under each panel. Fire Department request the two items to be listed as an assembly. Has anyone ever seen a solar panel / micro-inverter installed together with a UL Listed Assembly?

piguej

The solar contractor buys the micro-inverter and solar panels from different locations. They both have a UL listing. He wants to use NEC 08 690.6 and that is where my problem starts. Has anyone ever inspected or installed a system with micro-inverters located under the panels?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
The solar contractor buys the micro-inverter and solar panels from different locations. They both have a UL listing. He wants to use NEC 08 690.6 and that is where my problem starts. Has anyone ever inspected or installed a system with micro-inverters located under the panels?

I have and there are companies out there getting them listed. The big blue store sells them. Also if both parts are UL listed, I don't see a problem.

Last edited:

raider1

Staff member
I have and there are companies out there getting them listed. The big blue store sells them. Also if both parts are UL listed, I don't see a problem.

Agreed, I have inspected solar installs with micro-inverters at each panel. The panels and the inverters were all listed.

Chris

piguej

Received a call from an electrician who said that to meet the requirments of art 690.6 (A) 2008 NEC,the solar panels must be a unified ac solar panel, which is actually a DC solar panel with a non removable micro-inverter attached and they are listed with UL. Anyone ever seen that?

drive1968

The only micro-inverter that I am familiar with is from Enphase Energy. The micro-inverters are detachable from the panel and can be used with many different types of panels and different mounts. Here is what Enphase says in their FAQ section:

Are Enphase devices UL-approved?
Enphase Microinverters are CSA listed per the requirements of UL1741 and are therefore approved to operate in the United States and Canada.

ty

Received a call from an electrician who said that to meet the requirments of art 690.6 (A) 2008 NEC,the solar panels must be a unified ac solar panel, which is actually a DC solar panel with a non removable micro-inverter attached and they are listed with UL. Anyone ever seen that?

AC modules are different than mounting an enPhase inverter on the bottom of a standard
DC module.

What issue do you have with installing a UL listed enPhase micro inverter that is made to mount on the back of a module?
I see no violation.

piguej

In order to use Art. 690.6 and remove most of the DC code issues, it would have to be a UL Listed as an Assembly device. I checked with UL and they said to add any micro-inverter to a solar panel (in the field) would not be a UL Listed as an Assembly device. The only UL Listed as an Assembly device would have to be put together at the manufacture and tested by UL. Our local code says putting two UL listed devices together does not make it a Listed Assembly. We have found solar panels with the micro-inverters installed at the manufacture and they are Listed as an Assembly. We are now addressing how we word our codes, but our Fire Department will not allow a change at this time. We are further down the road to working this out, and I really appreciate all of the comments.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
In order to use Art. 690.6 and remove most of the DC code issues, it would have to be a UL Listed as an Assembly device. I checked with UL and they said to add any micro-inverter to a solar panel (in the field) would not be a UL Listed as an Assembly device. The only UL Listed as an Assembly device would have to be put together at the manufacture and tested by UL. Our local code says putting two UL listed devices together does not make it a Listed Assembly. We have found solar panels with the micro-inverters installed at the manufacture and they are Listed as an Assembly. We are now addressing how we word our codes, but our Fire Department will not allow a change at this time. We are further down the road to working this out, and I really appreciate all of the comments.

Well if you're going to word your code in such a way as that, of course you're going to have problems. Bet that really puts a hitch on guys trying to wire their own lighting control panels.

http://www.andalay.net/cm/Home.html These guys make a listed assembly.

Last edited:

drive1968

By the way, Andalay uses Enphase microinverters with those prepackaged microinverters/panels. Piguej, it might be a good idea for you to contact Enphase. They could probably address your concern to the satisfaction of your fire department.

Status
Not open for further replies.