A/C Interconnect is a MCC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davis9

Hey all, bee a little bit!

Is the A/C interconnect signal wire(conductor from air handler to condenser) a motor control circuit as far as the NEC?

I was cited for a Art 430 violation for protection on it, tried using the Art 725 route which leads to 300 11 ish(going off memory).

I just want everyone's take one it is all.

I haven't worked in this town much, but it is common for the low voltage wire(Sun Res) to be tie wrapped(UV rated) to the liquid-tite to the A/C condenser in the area. Maybe just trade practice but non compliant?

Tried the search feature first.

Thanks!
Tom

hurk27

Hey all, bee a little bit!

Is the A/C interconnect signal wire(conductor from air handler to condenser) a motor control circuit as far as the NEC?

I was cited for a Art 430 violation for protection on it, tried using the Art 725 route which leads to 300 11 ish(going off memory).

I just want everyone's take one it is all.

I haven't worked in this town much, but it is common for the low voltage wire(Sun Res) to be tie wrapped(UV rated) to the liquid-tite to the A/C condenser in the area. Maybe just trade practice but non compliant?

Tried the search feature first.

Thanks!
Tom

If the control circuit of the air handler is a 24 volt circuit like most are, then the transformer is a class 2 power supply.
see for referance:
725.1 FPN
And 725.2:
Class 2 Circuit. The portion of the wiring system between the load side of a Class 2 power source and the connected equipment. Due to its power limitations, a Class 2 circuit considers safety from a fire initiation standpoint and provides acceptable protection from electric shock.

725.58 Support of Conductors.
Class 2 or Class 3 circuit conductors shall not be strapped, taped, or attached by any means to the exterior of any conduit or other raceway as a means of support. These conductors shall be permitted to be installed as permitted by 300.11(B)(2).

so if they meet the conditions of 300.11(B)(2) it allowed

300.11(B) Raceways Used as Means of Support. Raceways shall only be used as a means of support for other raceways, cables, or nonelectric equipment under the following conditions:
(1) Where the raceway or means of support is identified for the purpose; or
(2) Where the raceway contains power supply conductors for electrically controlled equipment and is used to support Class 2 circuit conductors or cables that are solely for the purpose of connection to the equipment control circuits; or(3) Where the raceway is used to support boxes or conduit bodies in accordance with 314.23 or to support luminaires (fixtures) in accordance with 410.16(F)

Looks like (2) allows for it.

Davis9

Those are the exact articles I used but, He busted out the Motor Control Circuit spiel.

I may put together a formal request to the state. Of course this is holding up a final inspection on a 5K sq ft house... Man what a let down.

Jay, things are ok. Not great but ok.

Tom

Thanks!

dicklaxt

You may be right but without a violation reference anything that answered is a guess,,,,,,,,,,,,,,not trying to be contrary here but if we don't know the problem how can it be answered.

dick

Davis9

430.73 is what He cited. Not sure it's a hazard, maybe an inconvenience.

Tom

Would not the entire run from Air handler to condenser be required to be protected if that's the case? How about the boiler and pumps etc? I guess that in his mind only the outside stuff needs to be protected. Well, I did the (un)?necessary repairs to gain a final inspection but took pictures and plan on asking for a formal interpretation.

He also tried to make me GFCI the burg and fire panels. I have a receptacle installed for the power supplies.

Status
Not open for further replies.