Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEC Handbook 2011 PDF

NEC Handbook 2011 PDF

I just talked to the NFPA and they told me that you can download the 2011 NEC or Handbook PDF to two computers.

Has anyone done this?
    I just want to confirm what they told me.

I want it on my desktop and laptop computer.
    Tim
    Master Electrician
    New England
    Yesterday's Technology at Tomorrow's Prices

Answers based on 2011 NEC

Quote Originally Posted by tkb View Post
    I just talked to the NFPA and they told me that you can download the 2011 NEC or Handbook PDF to two computers.

Has anyone done this?
    I just want to confirm what they told me.

I want it on my desktop and laptop computer.
    How much is it? Downloading to two computers is not unusual. I have the PDF that came free with my code book. I believe that can be downloaded once but if they told you twice then I would believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by tkb View Post
    Has anyone done this?
    I downloaded it once, doing a "SaveAs" to a file name and location on the desktop. I then copied the file over to my laptop. I then opened them for the first time.

Opening each and running them as needed has been flawless for half a year now.

Edit: Whoops. I'm not answering your question. I'm talking about the free PDF.

To your point. I've purchased the NECH on CDROM in previous years. Haven't gotten the 2011 Handbook yet. They have all come with two installs. I had to rebuild a system and re-install, a call to NFPA gave me additional installs.

I'd think the download is the same. A bit is a bit on the computer.
    Last edited by al hildenbrand; 03-18-11 at 03:52 PM.
    Another Al in Minnesota

I got the free 2011 NEC download on one computer. Put is on a thumb drive and installed it on my laptop too. The original download stopped working, gave an error message with a phone number. I called the NFPA they said that the file was corrupted and gave me another free download.
    Rob

Chief Moderator

All responses based on the 2011 NEC unless otherwise noted

What was the number you called? Mine has stopped loading at all it doesn't give a number to call. Do they ask for the code? I threw away the card so I don't have the code anymore.
    Military wives deserve the Purple Heart Medal. They are wounded every time their Soldier goes off to protect our freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyoligist2 View Post
    What was the number you called? Mine has stopped loading at all it doesn't give a number to call. Do they ask for the code? I threw away the card so I don't have the code anymore.
    The number popped up with the error message so I no longer have it. They just asked for my e-mail address and reset something. Waited 5 minutes and downloaded it again.

The 2008 CD-ROM version I must have installed 4 or 5 times. One time I had a hard drive failure, another time I needed to put it on a new laptop and this was after meeting the maximum two downloads. I just called the NFPA said that there was a problem and they reset something to permit another download.
    Rob

Chief Moderator

I purchased the 2011 NECH yesterday.
    I am using Adobe Reader to open it.
    I had to download a plug-in to be able to open it.

The commenting bars are showing in Acrobat Reader, but when I highlight something or add a note it does not save with the file.

I thought I would be able to highlight or make notes without purchasing the full blown Acrobat program.

If I have to purchase Acrobat I will not be very happy with the NFPA as it adds about $250 to the purchase of the electronic version of the NECH over last cycle.
    Tim
    Master Electrician
    New England
    Yesterday's Technology at Tomorrow's Prices

Answers based on 2011 NEC

Comparing the 2008 CD-ROM version to the 2011 download version is like a step backwards. In the new version searching is very s..l..o..w.
    Rob

Chief Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    I got the free 2011 NEC download on one computer.
    How do I get a free download of the 2011 NEC?

Quote Originally Posted by rltomkinson View Post
    How do I get a free download of the 2011 NEC?
    It is not free.