peninsula rec req.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stjohnbarleycorn

I have a peninsula that is 6 foot long, and 24" wide, with not cooktop or sink or any break in the top. I am required to put one outlet on the peninsula. As far as I can see it can be anywhere. I also need one on the wall that the peninsula is connected too. Although not practical can you put it right next to the wall, on the peninsula, the customer does not want to put any in, and close to the wall end would be their next best idea. thanks.

1) Wall Countertop Spaces. A receptacle outlet shall be installed at each wall countertop space that is 300 mm (12 in.) or wider. Receptacle outlets shall be installed so that no point along the wall line is more than 600 mm (24 in.) measured horizontally from a receptacle outlet in that space.

(3) Peninsular Countertop Spaces. At least one receptacle outlet shall be installed at each peninsular countertop space with a long dimension of 600 mm (24 in.) or greater and a short dimension of 300 mm (12 in.) or greater. A peninsular countertop is measured from the connecting edge.

Split Bolt

You will need one on the wall and at least one on the peninsula as you stated. (I believe it must be within 18" of the countertop of peninsula, so down low won't count...going on memory, which isn't what it was 20 years ago!) Anyway, the reason I'm responding is because you stated the homeowner doesn't want one. I had a case back in the '90s where the homeowner was VERY adamant that she didn't want a receptacle on her island. I explained that I can't pass the final without one, but she insisted. Inspector failed my final for that reason, but told the homeowner she could submit an affidavit to the county releasing them of any responsibility. She did and he approved the job! Just something to consider.

stjohnbarleycorn

thanks for the reply, any ideas on what to do here?

Exception to (5): To comply with the conditions specified in (1) or (2), receptacle outlets shall be permitted to be mounted not more than 300 mm (12 in.) below the countertop. Receptacles mounted below a countertop in accordance with this exception shall not be located where the countertop extends more than 150 mm (6 in.) beyond its support base.

well what do you do if the top is 12" beyond the counter top base all the way around, no outlet req.?

Split Bolt

I don't know where you are located, but here in Northern Virginia the inspectors are usually pretty lax on that. After all, we are not magicians and can only work with what we have! Try talking to your AHJ to ask what they want. (and take note of names, times, dates, etc.!) My guess is that they would be happy to one, even if the overhang is 12".

hurk27

Here is an angle I have use to have inspectors allow an affidavit to the county/city releasing them of any responsibility.

In 1969, they shortened the requirements for cords on kitchen appliances, to 2 foot, this was because to many children were being badly hurt or killed by pulling hot kitchen appliances off the counter onto them, so they made the cords short so they wouldn't hang over the counter edge, in 1996 the NEC introduced the language that required receptacles on islands and peninsulas, and the exception to allow the receptacle below the counter top, this re-introduce the danger the change in 1969 removed, even now with the pull-away cords can not guarantee that people will not use older kitchen appliances.

so now when we get a request for no receptacles below, and they have small children we ask for a affidavit and we have the home owner sign off.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If I were an inspector I would have a hard time allowing the homeowner to dictate what they want. Nec is there as a tool and IMO, I just say you have no choice. They will get over it esp. with the the small sillite recep. that are available.

If the ho doesn't want AFCI does the inspector allow that also. That HO is not going to live there forever. I run into this often but have rarely had big problems with it. The bigger problem is with recep. by the sinks and there is no room to install one.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
You're welcome. I finally got my supplier to stock a few which is great. He has had many request since they put them on display.. I advise you to buy a brand new bit- I think 1 3/4" and use it for nothing else as there is almost no fudge on these units.

Only colors are black or white.

mpd

Here is an angle I have use to have inspectors allow an affidavit to the county/city releasing them of any responsibility.

so now when we get a request for no receptacles below, and they have small children we ask for a affidavit and we have the home owner sign off.

the receptacle is a minimum requirement, IMO that affidavit would be torn apart by any lawyer, what happens when that owner sells that house, inspector & contractor will be on the hook

Split Bolt

the receptacle is a minimum requirement, IMO that affidavit would be torn apart by any lawyer, what happens when that owner sells that house, inspector & contractor will be on the hook

I disagree, although I'm not a lawyer. If you read the situation I had in (I believe) post #2, this was a legal, notarized document between the AHJ and the owner of the house! I have a hard time believing that it could somehow come back to me some day. But, again, I'm not a lawyer!:D

mpd

I disagree, although I'm not a lawyer. If you read the situation I had in (I believe) post #2, this was a legal, notarized document between the AHJ and the owner of the house! I have a hard time believing that it could somehow come back to me some day. But, again, I'm not a lawyer!:D

I would agree if this procedure is part of the towns administrative code, but if this is just because the homeowner does not want it, then throw the NEC away and just let the homeowner decide what they want and have them complete a affidavit for the rest of the house that does not comply. it does not seem like a good practice and i agree there always situations that make hard to comply to the letter of the law but try and come as close as you can.

Split Bolt

I would agree if this procedure is part of the towns administrative code, but if this is just because the homeowner does not want it, then throw the NEC away and just let the homeowner decide what they want and have them complete a affidavit for the rest of the house that does not comply. it does not seem like a good practice and i agree there always situations that make hard to comply to the letter of the law but try and come as close as you can.

I'm with ya 100%! I would have rather installed a receptacle on her island than fail my final, believe me! But she was VERY adamant that I not make any holes in her beautiful island! At that point, she took it over my head and out of my hands. Would you have done it anyway in my shoes? Don't forget, she was holding the GC's final draw, and he was holding my final draw!:D

mpd

I'm with ya 100%! I would have rather installed a receptacle on her island than fail my final, believe me! But she was VERY adamant that I not make any holes in her beautiful island! At that point, she took it over my head and out of my hands. Would you have done it anyway in my shoes? Don't forget, she was holding the GC's final draw, and he was holding my final draw!:D

as an inspector i can not get involved in he or she owes me money, my hands are tied and i must enforce what is written, i understand what you are saying but it would not involve me

Split Bolt

as an inspector i can not get involved in he or she owes me money, my hands are tied and i must enforce what is written, i understand what you are saying but it would not involve me

OK, I'm not saying that the inspector should get involved in the money. What I'm saying is that when the inspector (not you) tells me that the homeowner has given the county an affidavit and he (not you) is waiving the requirement for the island receptacle on this particular job, and giving me the final approval, MY hands are clean and I leave it at that. No longer my problem! That's all I am saying. I don't agree with it, or for that matter, a lot of legal decisions, but at this point, it is no longer any of my business!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
What I'm saying is that when the inspector (not you) tells me that the homeowner has given the county an affidavit and he (not you) is waiving the requirement for the island receptacle on this particular job, and giving me the final approval, MY hands are clean and I leave it at that.

To some point I agree with you however, I just had an inspector tell the ho and builder that they could install a split system heating/cooling system in a room with a hot tub where it is impossible to maintain 10' clearance. The power to the indoor unit is 24V and the a/c will hook it up.

At this point I will, and did, put my foot down. I told them to get someone else to wire the system with their own permit. I will not do this install no matter who says it's okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.