Mounting panel sideways

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryB

I have a 200 amp GE panel, the main is left to right. If I mount it sideways I would position it so "up would be on" as far as the main. Any problem with the top row of breakers which would be positioned "down when on".
I think 240.81 would allow it.

tadavidson

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Now, I'm wondering why you'd mount it horizontal. I've never seen a load center mounted horizontal.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I have a 200 amp GE panel, the main is left to right. If I mount it sideways I would position it so "up would be on" as far as the main. Any problem with the top row of breakers which would be positioned "down when on".

Best bet is to move to Canada if you want to do this.

GerryB

Now, I'm wondering why you'd mount it horizontal. I've never seen a load center mounted horizontal.
It's a basement where the concrete has a bump out and there is a wall where you wouldn't have the 3' clearance. I never saw one sideways either, upside down I've seen so I was thinking maybe sideways too:dunce:

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Would this be allowed in the US if you only used one side of the panel, the side where "on" is up? I'm thinking no, but curious.

tadavidson

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It's a basement where the concrete has a bump out and there is a wall where you wouldn't have the 3' clearance. I never saw one sideways either, upside down I've seen so I was thinking maybe sideways too:dunce:

Surface mount or smaller space panel out of the question?

tadavidson

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I guess you've never watched "Holmes on Homes". It's based in Canada.

No, never. . I'd think that if the demand was there, a manufacturer would make a panel designed to be vertical. It'd be simple enough. Maybe I'll do that and move to the North.

chris1971

I believe it's permissible in Canada but not in America.

kwired

Electron manager
No, never. . I'd think that if the demand was there, a manufacturer would make a panel designed to be vertical. It'd be simple enough. Maybe I'll do that and move to the North.
They use the same panels in Canada, orientation doesn't effect performance, it is just that NEC wants the switch handles to be "on" in the up position and "off" in the down position if the switch operates vertically, they otherwise work in any position.

tadavidson

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
They use the same panels in Canada, orientation doesn't effect performance, it is just that NEC wants the switch handles to be "on" in the up position and "off" in the down position if the switch operates vertically, they otherwise work in any position.

Yes sir, I get they work but the writing is skewed. A person would wrench their neck attempting to read the breaker info. Manufacture a panel designed to be mounted vertical and problem solved and can be used in U.S.A.

I've had a few applications where a short wide panel would be advantageous.

Besides, things I'm not "used" to seeing are wrong.

kwired

Electron manager
Yessir, We use them often, I had a 200 amp 40 space in mind. Watch, since I'm gonna make one, some rich alligator will beat me to it and there will be one available soon.
Unless you make that multi-tier levels of breakers, a 40 space panel will be pretty wide and waste a lot of valuable space needed for working/dedicated space.

We are already required to have a minimum of 30 inches wide space dedicated to such equipment, unless the equipment is wider. Anything that needs more width then that won't be welcomed by the owners and designers in many instances. They aren't always happy to give up the 30 inches minimum as is now.

tadavidson

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Unless you make that multi-tier levels of breakers, a 40 space panel will be pretty wide and waste a lot of valuable space needed for working/dedicated space.

We are already required to have a minimum of 30 inches wide space dedicated to such equipment, unless the equipment is wider. Anything that needs more width then that won't be welcomed by the owners and designers in many instances. They aren't always happy to give up the 30 inches minimum as is now.

Yep, probably right, they'd have to make refrigerators wider to completely hide the different style.

Status
Not open for further replies.