Ceiling Fan/ Light Near Spa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hankqb

Ok so the area in question is a pergola/lean to structure with a spa under it. Roughly half of the area is dedicated to the spa the other half of the covered area is a deck with plans to have a picnic table and chairs. In the area with the deck we have two receptacles and two switches, one for the fan and the other for the light. All of these are more than 5' measured horizontally from the inside wall of the spa and gfi protected. The fan/light is gfi protected, measured horizontally is 8' or more from the inside wall of the spa and the box which the fan/light is mounted from is more than 7'6" above the deck. The light on the bottom of the fan is roughly 6' above the floor, I agree this is low but the owner plans to put a table under it and was more than happy with the install so we went with it. The inspector failed me today due to the fan blades not being 7'6" above the floor and the light kit being under 6'8". The only thing I have found in 680 states that the fan may not be mounted from a height less than 7'6", and I have not found anything about the 6'8" measurement. Can anyone verify these measurements or point me in the right direction? I appreciate it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I believe the instruction on the fan installation sheet will tell you that the blades cannot be less than 7'6" off the floor

north star

@ ~ @

Hankqb,

Since your OP is in regard to a Residential application,
...the Inspector [ may ] be thinking of Section R305.1 - Ceiling
heights, [ in the `15 IRC ].......This Section deals with
habitable rooms, not outdoors under a pergola or "lean to".

Kindly & respectfully ask the Inspector to please provide you
with the Code Section he is citing the 6'-8" dimension from.

@ ~ @

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
680.22 (B) (1) & (2) is very clear about clearances.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
If the ceiling box for the fan/light is 8 feet from the inside edge of the spa, that leaves a 3 foot radius for the fan blades to swing in and still be not be in the 5 foot from the inside edge of the spa. A 52" fan will fit in that space fine. That's what I read in 680.22B.

I cannot find another reference in NEC for paddle blade height requirements.

Nor luminaires height. Most dining rooms have the luminaires less than 7'6" from the floor.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
If the ceiling box for the fan/light is 8 feet from the inside edge of the spa, that leaves a 3 foot radius for the fan blades to swing in and still be not be in the 5 foot from the inside edge of the spa. A 52" fan will fit in that space fine. That's what I read in 680.22B.
yep, if the blade edge falls outside the 5ft vertical (measured horizontally) then the height restrictions of 680.22 do not apply, the other sections may still apply.

but noted, the install instructions may state min height for various types of installs, the more restrictive of guide vs NEC shall prevail.

Status
Not open for further replies.