Status
Not open for further replies.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Is it code compliant? Maybe.

I have see this before on Manf. Homes.

There was no code nor inspections when the PVC (white) was installed (outside disconnect).

Now the new home is brought in. The disconnect is existing and unless I can prove that it is a serious hazard, like going to happen in the next five minutes, I could not make the homeowners replace the line side of the service.

The load side yes. Because it would contain the new conductors for the home.

iwire

Staff member
I will bet that is USE inside that plumbing pipe sleeve which would be another violation ........ at least under the recent codes.

radiopet

Have seen it before but likely unpermited work. Personally i would let it slide. No serious issues being it is clearly being used as electrical.

At what point do we let our personal feelings override what the NEC tells us? personally, I have not looked at the image but if anyone uses conduits or tubing other than the type listed for electrical applications...they will replace it otherwise where do we draw the line for enforcement.

hurk27

I can see the large pipe is probably for the utility side of the meter pack, but what on Earth is the smaller plumbing pipe for? you have 4 meters, and 4 ser cables out of the top? water drain maybe LOL

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
At what point do we let our personal feelings override what the NEC tells us? personally, I have not looked at the image but if anyone uses conduits or tubing other than the type listed for electrical applications...they will replace it otherwise where do we draw the line for enforcement.

It is not our personal feelings. In Ohio it is the law. You could not make them change it in Ohio.

So not looking at it your mind is made up? Not a very good attitude IF you are doing inspections for the public.

BTW the NEC is not a retroactive code. You draw the line at what you are able to enforce not what you think you should be able to enforce.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Used to see it all the time before we got inspections, there was not enough work to do electrical alone, so a lot of contractors did plumbing and electrical. I wish I had some photos of them using pressure 90's to sleeve the cable to the panel in. (yes, 2" pvc pressure 90's with usually 2-4/0 AL and 1-2/0 AL with no ground to a doublewide)

Jim W in Tampa

Tell me what the differance is in material and i might change my mind. If only issue is color and listing i would allow it on existing.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
It is not our personal feelings. In Ohio it is the law. You could not make them change it in Ohio.

So not looking at it your mind is made up? Not a very good attitude IF you are doing inspections for the public.

BTW the NEC is not a retroactive code. You draw the line at what you are able to enforce not what you think you should be able to enforce.

Well said, besides if the pipe had been painted no one would know what it is and the issue would never have been raised. After 26 years in service you are hard pressed to say it is an "eminent hazard". I just hope it is not connected to the building drain.:roll:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It's been there a long time and while it might not be to code it's not an imminent hazard that would justify ripping it up and replacing it, IMO.

It might even have been legal when it was installed. Or maybe special permission was granted back then for that kind of install.

I sure don't like having that ground rod out in front like that though. That is a hazard and should be fixed.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Not unless it is listed for use with electrical conductors.

352.6 requires PVC to be listed.

Chris

That's a pretty new requirement though. I don't know when they went through and added the listing requirement to all the stuff but it's been fairly recently. Like within the last 20 or 30 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.