Ground Fault protection for VFD 2014 code

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Led

We are replacing an existing VFD. The new code says we need GFI protection our question is, is GFI protection from breaker to VFD or from VFD to motor .we understand the VFD is the motor protection. Does the circuit to vfd need GFI protection .Our existing panel is not capable to hold a GFI breaker , What are some acceptably solutions? Thank you (refer to 430.130)

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I think it is the wording in the title of 430.130 Branch-Circuit Short-Circuit and Ground Fault Protection....

I do not think that GFI is what is being called for in this paragraph.

The phrase "Short-Circuit and Ground Fault Protection" generally refers to a standard fuse or circuit breaker.

kwired

Electron manager
We are replacing an existing VFD. The new code says we need GFI protection our question is, is GFI protection from breaker to VFD or from VFD to motor .we understand the VFD is the motor protection. Does the circuit to vfd need GFI protection .Our existing panel is not capable to hold a GFI breaker , What are some acceptably solutions? Thank you (refer to 430.130)
You are misunderstanding what is meant by "short circuit and ground fault protection".

Standard fuses or circuit breakers, is primarily what this is addressing.

If GFCI protection were the requirement here the NEC would have used the term "ground fault circuit interrupter"

kwired

Electron manager
GFCI is different than GFP as seen in 210.13, 215.10 & 230.95.
Yes, there is GFCI, GFPE as well as general short circuit and ground fault protection.

430.130, which the OP is questioning, is not talking about GFCI or GFPE, just short circuit and ground fault protection that is provided by standard fuses or circuit breakers.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
The phrase "Short-Circuit and Ground Fault Protection" generally refers to a standard fuse or circuit breaker.

Yes,

And it uses this term to differentiate this type of fault current (usually low impedance) versus that of motor running or overload protection.

Sajid khan

Grounf fault protection as i know from the code is for breaker rating greator than 1000amp.
What is your breaker rating??

Sent from my GT-I9300I using Tapatalk

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Grounf fault protection as i know from the code is for breaker rating greator than 1000amp.
That's ground fault protection for equipment... GFPE, for short.

GFCI and GFPE both open their respective circuit when the net current on circuit conductors is above a set threshold... usually in the low mA range.

Status
Not open for further replies.