Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just past a Ramsay test for maintenance electrical/electronics's for large steel mill

Quote Originally Posted by Cimba20 View Post
    Thanks wayne...what should i concentrate on most...i know electrical stuff but i'm not sure what to concentrate on...i appreciate it alot..thank you
    You should know what your weak in, these books have practice question at the end of each section and chapter, I would look at theses and see how many you know, as you find each area your having problems with knowing the answers then you know you need to study that section or chapter.
    In no way can I know what your weak in? as for knowing what is in the test, each industry will have Ramsay design the test to fit the need of that industry, no two test from different company's will be the same, so while I was hit with mostly electronic, motor control, motor wiring of different types of motors, DC cranes and Instrumentation, the place you apply to might want other things, maybe more toward the electrical area, and code, The best thing to do is study in the areas you are weak in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    No surprise that you scored well. Good luck and get some sleep-- you'll have to work for a living now. :grin:
    Thanks Dennis, I amazes me how much we can forget over time of not using even the simplest of formulas, and math, some of the questions was things I have had to answer since school days, or even tech school days.
    Wayne A. From: N.W.Indiana
    Be Fair, Be Safe
    Just don't be fairly safe

Hurk's right. I just helped put together the Ramsey Test for Maint. Elec and Mech. about a year ago.

We had people from all of our locations (maint Mgrs, EEs, etc) around a table. The potential test questions were given to us. We did a round robin answering the questions and then each rated that question on its improtance to the craft. Took a full day. Talk about being put on the spot when it came your turn. I had one guy ask me how I knew the answer to a particular question. All I could say was, I guessed. You had to be there, but it got a laugh.
    Why is it, when it comes to the NEC, the obvious is never simple and the simple is never obvious?

congrats

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    No surprise that you scored well. Good luck and get some sleep-- you'll have to work for a living now. :grin:
    Just not as hard as an EC
    John,

Update

Well it took forever, but I finally got a call today to go in for orientation, and a hair test, if all goes well I might be ok for a while.
    Be Fair, Be Safe

Quote Originally Posted by hurk27 View Post
    Update

Well it took forever, but I finally got a call today to go in for orientation, and a hair test, if all goes well I might be ok for a while.
    Congratulations! But what is a hair test?
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Bill View Post
    Congratulations! But what is a hair test?
    Too see how blond I am

A drug test where they can go back 6 months to see if your a drug user, many of the larger company's are doing this now, but it is very expensive for them and is the last test they will give you because of this, so they don't wast the money, but no problems with this test.
    Be Fair, Be Safe

Quote Originally Posted by hurk27 View Post
    Too see how blond I am
    The girl that cuts my hair said she was going to have to start charging me a "finder's fee" instead of a hair cut charge!
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

If you are going to work for the plant that is at the top of Cline Ave, good luck! I did my electrical apprenticeship there '75-'77. The training they provided has served me well ever since. Cutler-Hammer had a very good DC Crane Control Handbook that went through control wiring and power wiring for cranes. I worked primarily at #3 Open Hearth. I think it's been closed down now. Basic Oxygen Furnace (BOF), Continuous Caster are good places to work. Best advice is keep your head on a swivel. You won't be able to hear anything coming at you most of the time, you have to time it and sense it. Good luck!

I have done a ton of substation work in those mills from Gary to Burns Harbor, they have good HV crews you would fit in.

Congratulations, Wayne.
    I agree with Dennis in that, after observing your posts here, I am not surprised that you did well.
    Hopefully it will be a happy "marriage" for both you and the plant.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.