Chikie huts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim W in Tampa

Is there anything in NEC or other codes to forbid them to be wired for lights and receptacles ? Just got back from friends that live in a RV park and was told the county would not let them wire them. If it matters it is in Pasco county FL. Only thing i can think of is a fire code

Jim W in Tampa

this article might have something to do with it. Owners found a loophole and had the Indians come in and build the Chickee, county did seem to catch on though. Had to Google to find out what a Chickee hut was:D

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/05/07/Pasco/Building_a_chickee_tu.shtml

Yes it's true that indians need no permits. I had a seminole friend build one for me about 18 years ago in Naples.

I am curious as to what laws stop them from being wired. What happened here is 4 owners had them built and wired. County made them remove wiring. Seems it even went to court.
I partially see the danger but not sure if its illegal.

juptonstone

chickee hut wiring

chickee hut wiring

After figuring out what a chickee hut is, it looks similar to a TIKI hut. Anyway... there's a restaurant in Ocklawaha, FL, called Gator Joe's, that has a tiki hut as an outdoor dining facility. It's basically a dock and a long deck leading to it, that's over beach and water. The lighting is wired using emt with compression fittings and raintite, round boxes with lighting in cage enclosed glass... kind of like what you'd do in horse barn.. If the heat from the bulbs is an issue try LED lighting. Other than that, I can't figure out what the issue is either.

glene77is

Jim,
Was just in Florida, and the Tiki style looks good.
Can you utilize lighting on tall stands/tripods , connected by proper extension cords?
:)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Was the hut as it stands now permitted and inspected or was it built under the Indian exception?

Roger

Jim W in Tampa

Was the hut as it stands now permitted and inspected or was it built under the Indian exception?

Roger

The huts themself are permitted and staying up. I do not know if they hired indians. As my friend told me white men never build them right and these look very nice. I only helped build one and it is a lot more work than i care to do.

If they built the same building type but use normal house plywood and shingles they have no issue with wiring.

Years ago the was a place on Marathon in the keys that had drinks and shows that was 1 very huge chiki but it caught fire.

Only issue i can see is potential of a fire. If wired correctly it should be safe.
From what i was told this went to court and they lost.Will be finding out more as i have a friend that is a state inspector.

Status
Not open for further replies.