Out of Phase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohm Servo

If a device were that was supposed to be in phase were to suddenly drop out of phase, how would I be able to tell? Where should I begin my troubleshooting?

Ohm Servo

I mean if there are any general tells like a flicker or short. My understanding is that phases relate to a time lag between current and voltage. My electrical knowledge set is pretty weak, so i could be misunderstanding.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This would depend on what loads were on the transformer. If they were all 3 phase motors then they would be single phasing. If lights are on the load side then you would see power out in many areas but not everywhere

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
Yes. If for example, a three phase distribution transformer were to lose a phase, what would happen?

You didn't say whether it was loss of the secondary or primary of the three phase transformer. If you lose a primary phase, most pad mount transformers (Delta/Wye or Wye/Wye) would continue to provide three phase power, but the voltages would be abnormal. This is due to the fact that pad mount transformers use what's called "common core" windings. That's if we're talking Wye secondary. Delta secondary gets even more weird. Probably beyond your question....electrical theory always has a "BUT" factor to confuse the issue. Plus I like to show how smart I think I am.:happysad:

Status
Not open for further replies.