Why the need for a second disconnect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Why would you need a disconnect between the two bus disconnects and circuit breaker? It seem completely redundant to me- but a well respected EE book seems to make it out as necessary (see #2 to the right in the second picture). :huh:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I would say that it is there so that you can always have one switch that opens the circuit regardless of which bus it is connected to.
Only one switch to lockout instead of two when the load or circuit is to be maintained

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I would say that it is there so that you can always have one switch that opens the circuit regardless of which bus it is connected to.
Only one switch to lockout instead of two when the load or circuit is to be maintained

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Switching, lockout, and tagging type deal then?

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I don’t know if it is still the case, early HV live tank breakers had accompanying isolators to reduce the stress on the primary breaker once it had opened.

Look for ISBN 095389712-1-4

I hear you, but not getting anything on Google :(

rian0201

Why would you need a disconnect between the two bus disconnects and circuit breaker? It seem completely redundant to me- but a well respected EE book seems to make it out as necessary (see #2 to the right in the second picture). :huh:

The answer is already provided in your 2nd pic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rian0201

maintenance for the buses, is that not a reason? maybe we are expecting something big..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

adamscb

Occupation
EE
It could have something to do with the location of the disconnects. For example, let's say the two Bus disconnects are in a separate room from the circuit breaker. In that case, doesn't it say in the NEC that the disconnecting means must be in line-of-sight of the equipment it disconnects? May be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.