ughhhh wallplates

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireguru

why in the world does no one stock white single gang decora plates, standard size in nylon?

I can get the residential grade ones in standard size, or nylon plates in midway. No supply houses have them, no home improvement centers have them... now i get to pay fedex that will probably cost more than the plates do to have them overnighted from mfgr :mad:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Nobody uses standard sizes around here anymore. Everything has gone to midi many, many years ago. It covers more sheetrock sins. I had the standards in my house but I never liked them. I changed to decora and midi plates.

WinZip

why in the world does no one stock white single gang decora plates, standard size in nylon?

I can get the residential grade ones in standard size, or nylon plates in midway. No supply houses have them, no home improvement centers have them... now i get to pay fedex that will probably cost more than the plates do to have them overnighted from mfgr :mad:

Try this place , I buy a lot of odd ball materials there.

This is the page that starts with Decora plates

http://electronics.mcmelectronics.c...5846285&method=or&isort=score&view=list&srt=0

nakulak

sorry bro, but waiting until you need something and then expecting it to be in stock is usually a recipe for failure.

jzadroga

I have always heard these plates called goof plates. The people I learned from would never use the larger plates. They always felt that it was a dead giveaway for bad workmanship on the sheetrockers part as well as a code violation. They would fill in the gap and use a standard plate.

Split Bolt

Wireguru, since you don't give me any idea in your profile where you live, I'm not sure if this will help. Here in Northern Virginia, Lowe's carries Cooper nylon plates in "C" size (standard), Midi and Jumbo! Here is a link to my local Lowe's, but I know they vary from state to state. These are the ones that bend rather than snap.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_315486-334-5151W-SP-L_4294821476_4294937087?productId=3138789&Ns=p_product_price|1

In my house, I use white Decora devices with Princess plates, but try to keep a selection of all styles on van to match existing for clients.

Split Bolt

I have always heard these plates called goof plates. The people I learned from would never use the larger plates. They always felt that it was a dead giveaway for bad workmanship on the sheetrockers part as well as a code violation. They would fill in the gap and use a standard plate.

Yeah, "Goof Plates" is the nicer of the 2 names I've always heard them called! One advantage to the Midi plates is that they don't look like they are covering something like the Jumbos. I use them a lot when changing devices in old houses and I have to score about 10 layers of paint and then break the old device in order to get the plate off.:D

wireguru

Wireguru, since you don't give me any idea in your profile where you live, I'm not sure if this will help. Here in Northern Virginia, Lowe's carries Cooper nylon plates in "C" size (standard), Midi and Jumbo! Here is a link to my local Lowe's, but I know they vary from state to state. These are the ones that bend rather than snap.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_315486-334-5151W-SP-L_4294821476_4294937087?productId=3138789&Ns=p_product_price|1

In my house, I use white Decora devices with Princess plates, but try to keep a selection of all styles on van to match existing for clients.

all lowes had here (west half of the country) was midway plates. perhaps everyone stocks their coverplates based on the available drywall workers?

wireguru

Here is an odd idea. Try going to a regular wholesale supply house for supplies. I bet they can supply you regular sized plates in at least three colors.

read my original post. tried the 3 different supply houses we deal with before any home improvement centers. none had them, one suggested lowes.

Split Bolt

Funny... here Home Depot, Menard's and Lowe's have decora nylon in regular, mid, and large... although menard's are flat not gloss

Over here, the Home Depot standard size plates are Leviton hard plastic, not nylon. All of the supply houses I go to also have the same. No supply houses that I know of have midi plates here. It's funny how the big box stores vary across the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.