pneumatic lines in same raceway as THHN

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a new saw that takes 480 V 3 Phase and a 1/4" air line. We want to put it in the middle of the shop where we have an underground conduit. Is it a code violation to pull my air line with my 480V wires?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Is it a code violation to pull my air line with my 480V wires?

Yes, it is a violation of 300.8

300.8 Installation of Conductors with Other Systems.
Raceways or cable trays containing electrical conductors shall not contain any pipe, tube, or equal for steam, water, air, gas, drainage, or any service other than electrical.

Roger

james_mcquade

Roger,

thanks for the info. I was looking for the code on that as well.

By chance is there a code violation reference for placing pneumatic valves inside the electrical enclosure with the plc and controls? I am at a facility where this happens and
i cannot get those responsible to see the fact that the oil mist from the valves is destroying the electrical controls and costring them money, not to mention the arc flash hazard.

regards,
james

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Roger,

By chance is there a code violation reference for placing pneumatic valves inside the electrical enclosure with the plc and controls? I am at a facility where this happens and
i cannot get those responsible to see the fact that the oil mist from the valves is destroying the electrical controls and costring them money, not to mention the arc flash hazard.

regards,
james

pipe the exhaust out of the box. solves the problem of oiled controls.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Roger,

regards,
james

James, look at 110.11 and 110.12(B) and see if they might help.

Roger

james_mcquade

Petersonra,
We did that on one machine and during a weekend, the air line to the valves burst.
Monday at 7 am, we opened the electrical cabinet and we got a bath. We estimate that there was at least 6" of water in the enclosure.

Thanks again everyone for your input.
Thanks Mike for your website.

regards,
james

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Petersonra,
We did that on one machine and during a weekend, the air line to the valves burst.
Monday at 7 am, we opened the electrical cabinet and we got a bath. We estimate that there was at least 6" of water in the enclosure.

Thanks again everyone for your input.
Thanks Mike for your website.

regards,
james

I have designed control systems for almost 30 years and put tens of thousands of solenoid valves on air lines inside enclosures and can't recall a single instance of an air line bursting. And most of them were plastic air lines.

Is it possible the air line had some help breaking?

james_mcquade

Petersonra,

I agree with what your saying, but not in this case.
9" above the valve bank is where the plastic pipe ruptured. It looked loke someone took the air line and just kept adding air pressure. Eventually the pipe had a buldge and it burst.

regards,
james

Status
Not open for further replies.