Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Arc Fault Breakers for Smoke Detectors

  1. #1

    Arc Fault Breakers for Smoke Detectors

    I am providing a price to install smoke detectors in 427 residential housing units. Am I required to provide an arch fault breaker for this circuit? The smokes will be the only item on the circuit.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    N of Anchrage, AK
    Posts
    172

    what code cycle?

    What code cycle are you working with? In the 2005 and 08, you'll need AFCI for smokies in the bedrooms - 201.12.B for '08, 210.12 in '05
    Last edited by Howard Burger; 04-10-11 at 01:32 PM.
    Howard

    "You don't know the character of a man until there is not enough." Dr. Jack Letts, MD

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chico, CA
    Posts
    596
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Burger View Post
    In the 2005 and 08, you'll need AFCI for smokies in the bedrooms...
    Not much experience with the '08 myself, but (in the '08) wouldn't the smokes be required to have AFCI protection in all of the following and not limited to bedrooms?

    "family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms,
    parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation
    rooms, closets, hallways, or similar rooms..."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Francisco Southbay
    Posts
    1,714
    Quote Originally Posted by ike5547 View Post
    Not much experience with the '08 myself, but (in the '08) wouldn't the smokes be required to have AFCI protection in all of the following and not limited to bedrooms?

    "family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms,
    parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation
    rooms, closets, hallways, or similar rooms..."
    According to 2008 NEC All outlets installed at above mentioned locations must be AFCI protected.

    On a second note, you may ask the AHJ, if you use an existing circuit instead of a dedicated, do you still have to install AFCI protection.
    Last edited by edward; 04-10-11 at 02:27 PM. Reason: spelling
    Edward
    Education is a progressive discovery of our ignorance.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    4,941
    Quote Originally Posted by edward View Post
    On a second note, you may ask the AHJ, if you use an existing circuit instead of a dedicated, do you still have to install AFCI protection.
    I think you've nailed it, Edward.

    The only real answer for the Opening Post, is for Jodonnell to ask that question of the AHJ for the location of the job.

    While the '08 and '11 NECs require AFCI for most of the locations a smoke might be installed, local enforcement may well have amendments to the AFCI rule.

    Check with your AHJ.
    Another Al in Minnesota

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    40
    Not sure what state your in, but in NC, CO2 detectors are required in rental units. Check with the AHJ, as the difference around here is about $35.00 per detector.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Branson, Missouri
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodonnell View Post
    I am providing a price to install smoke detectors in 427 residential housing units. Am I required to provide an arch fault breaker for this circuit? The smokes will be the only item on the circuit.
    The others have made good points. If you check with your AHJ, you might ask if the smokes can even be on a dedicated branch circuit.

    In my area, we adopt the International Code Council Electrical Code (ICCEC) which are Administrative Provisions. Section 1202.5 states: "Smoke detectors required by the International Building Code and installed within dwelling units shall not be connected as the only load on a branch circuit. Such detectors shall be supplied by branch circuits having lighting loads consisting of lighting outlets in habitable spaces."
    Last edited by construct; 04-13-11 at 10:43 AM. Reason: forgot some punctuation

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •