GFCI on AFCI Breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeKoehl

I was reading through the code book and noticed that in 210.52 (b) (1) the two small appliance circuits for small appliances (kitchen) can supply power to a pantry and dining room receptacles.

210.12 (B) Dwelling Units requires dining rooms (and I would assume pantries) to be protected by an AFCI device.

If you were going to supply your dining room from one or both of the two small appliance circuits; those circuits would have to be AFCI protected, Correct?

Are there any issues using GFI receptacles on a AFCI protected circuit?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You are correct and there are no issues with AFCI and AFCI on the same circuit. I would not however, put the pantry or dining room on the counter circuits. I have never done it before the AFCI but I would not want to have issues with AFCI in a kitchen.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
While many AFCIs have a component that behaves similar to a GFCI with around a 50 milliamp trip level, the additional arc detection component makes the AFCI a very different animal than a GFCI.

For a quick intro, read this CPSC fact sheet.

and you may want to go to Wikipedia and search on arc fault circuit interrupter.

Last edited:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Back in the day, I always put the nook on a SABC in these little spec homes. But I wouldn't attempt it on an AFCI; it will work, but it could lead to many problems for the homeowner.

Status
Not open for further replies.