2011 NEC - when to adopt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this is not a repeat question, I did a quick site search and did not find an answer.

1. Is your jurisdiction planning on adopting the 2011 NEC this coming year (2011)?

2. What NEC Cycle will your juridiction be in during the 2011 year?

Here are the reasons I am asking.

1. NYS has adopted the 2008 NEC, to be effective basically December of this (2010) year. This code cycle will be in effect for no less than 2-3 years.

I am about to head to the Eastern Section IAEI meeting, and the meetings will be addressing the 2011 NEC. I do not understand the merit to this, unless I am just in the dark as to which jurisdictions may be adopting the '11 NEC.
Do I really want to spend the $$ to go, including the loss of 2 work days, to study a code cycle for which I do not plan on buying the '11 code book for 2 years???
I have not missed one of the Eastern Section meetings in more years than I really want to say.:confused:

Thanks for your responses.

Bill Annett

Occupation
Retired ( 2020 ) City Electrical inspector
Here in WV

Here in WV

The state of WV have just adopted the 2008 NEC in July of this year. But now each city or each municipality has to adopt it. I am not a Lawyer but that is what I thinks happens Here in Wheeling we are still under the 2005 NEC

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Va. is still under 2005 but that is changing soon I'm told.
So in 2011 we will be under 2008. Va. seems to always be a cycle behind.

Last edited:

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
California technically has its own California Electrical Code; however, the next edition ("offically" 2010) is based on the 2008 NEC. It is effectively 99.9% NEC with some modest medical and fire marshal modifications. It also has "administrative" content. It goes into effect Jan 1, 2011.

Split Bolt

Va. is still under 2005 but that is changing soon I'm told.
So in 2011 we will be under 2008. Va. seems to always be a cycle behind.

Yes, Virginia Adopted the 2005 NEC on May 1, 2008. It is included in Part 1 of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code and is called the 2006 Virginia Construction Code. My guess is that we will be adopting the 2008 on May 1, 2011. Don't wait to buy your new 2011 though. They stop selling them here at the supply houses WAY early! I have a copy of the '08 here in my office collecting dust and waiting for it's day in the sun! You can bet that after the '11 is published, you won't be able to get an '08 unless you go on line.

cmreschke

The '05 was only used in Michigan for about a year due to how quickly the '08 became enforced. We still have to go to a code upgrade class each cycle in order to keep our licenses. It doesn't matter if the code cycle is one or three years long.

where at cause im still working under the 05 in detroit area and our update is on the 08 for license renewal for next year

MarkyMarkNC

NC usually adopted the new code book on Jan 1st until the 2008 code cycle. Home builder groups were lobbying against TR receps and added arc faults, so it took a few months IIRC. I would expect the 2011 to be adopted per usual this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.