Sink GFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

ihope

Regarding 210.8(B)(5) for receptacles installed within 6' of the outside edge of a non-dwelling located sink - Mike Holt wrote a response article (http://ecmweb.com/qa/code-qa-gfci-requirements-other-dwelling-units?page=2) on ECM.com about plug and cord devices installed near a sink in an employee break room do not need to be GFCI protected. The response was written in 2016, and I cannot find this exception within the NEC.

Also, can anyone provide a better understanding of what does within 6' of a sink means exactly? Is it all encompassing? If there a dedicated commerical receptacle intended for a small refrigerator is located undercounter adjacent to a sink, does that need to be GFCI? If the sink is on one side of a wall protrusion, does the receptacle on the opposite side of the wall need to be GFCI protected, even though it is not facing the sink?

Thanks for your help!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think Mike was making the distinction between a kitchen and a breakroom. Non-dwelling kitchens require gfci for all receptacles. He is stating that a breakroom with cord & plug appliances such as a microwave would not make the area a kitchen and as such only gfci is needed for receptacles within 6' of the sink

ihope

Ah, I appreciate the distinction. So, in the picture, we should assume the cord and plug applicances/devices are located outside the 6' boundary, and thus do not need GFCI protection because technically the area is not considered a kitchen. Thanks!

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
The rule pertains to the proximity of the receptacle. Has nothing to so with a cord & plug appliance in Mr.Holts example. He is simply showing what he feels described a kitchen versus a break room if memory serves me right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

rcarroll

Also, can anyone provide a better understanding of what does within 6' of a sink means exactly? Is it all encompassing? If there a dedicated commerical receptacle intended for a small refrigerator is located undercounter adjacent to a sink, does that need to be GFCI? If the sink is on one side of a wall protrusion, does the receptacle on the opposite side of the wall need to be GFCI protected, even though it is not facing the sink?

Thanks for your help!

Get the 2017 NEC, there is a great, (IMO), understanding of the 6' requirement. 210.8

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
If you were to plug in a 6' cord into a nearby receptacle and it reached the inside edge of the sink then GFCI is required. The receptacle could be for the counter use or on the wall in the dining room.

Kitchen counter ALL receptacle must have GFCI protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.