Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with Chris.

No exception for the OP question.

Cutting the wire makes it a code violation.

As to the wirenut. I understand how that could help.

What does the exception mean. I must not be thinking straight. I believe I can run a 14/2 without ground if I wanted. Of course if the fixture gets changed then it is a violation.

300.14 Length of Free Conductors at Outlets, Junctions, and Switch Points.
At least 150 mm (6 in.) of free conductor, measured from the point in the box where it emerges from its raceway or cable sheath, shall be left at each outlet, junction, and switch point for splices or the connection of luminaires or devices. Where the opening to an outlet, junction, or switch point is less than 200 mm (8 in.) in any dimension, each conductor shall be long enough to extend at least 75 mm (3 in.) outside the opening.
Exception: Conductors that are not spliced or terminated at the outlet, junction, or switch point shall not be required to comply with 300.14.

M4gery

mcclary's electrical, a question. I assume you don't use crimp sleeves when making up boxes? If so, would you still cap off the ends of the ground wires?

Mike01

wire nut or not??

wire nut or not??

thanks for all the respones It just caught me off guard a dead end ground but sounds pretty common, as for the wire nut or not to me it would all be personal preference no right or wrong ansewer. As for the short wire well I cannot speak to that except 2" does not seem like enought to work with in the future I suppose you could always use one of these from Ideal to lengenth the wire http://www.idealindustries.com/prodDetail.do?prodId=spliceline&div=0&l1=push-in also what are some of your thoughts on these http://www.idealindustries.com/prodDetail.do?prodId=in-sure&div=0&l1=push-in I am starting to see them more and more just curious on everones thoughts my only concern is future use and if you put the wrong one on your cutting it off. Or is there a way to remove them without cutting the wire?

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I'm still not following it. 300.14 is talking about the conductors in a box, etc. The exception is talking about conductors that aren't spliced or terminated inside of the box. That would leave me to believe that the ground wire cut short is code compliant via the exception (altho hack work).

The short or cut wire IS terminating in at outlet. So it does not meet the exception.

If you have the handbook look at exhibit 300.13.

This applies to ALL conductors.

M4gery

The short or cut wire IS terminating in at outlet. So it does not meet the exception.

If you have the handbook look at exhibit 300.13.

This applies to ALL conductors.

I only have the handbook in 2005 and the Exhibit doesn't match up:

Exhibit 300.13 Raceways used to support Class 2 thermostat cables.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Mike I think you are off base here. Where in 300.14 does it state that the wires entering the box must be 6" and unspliced. I am not sure the code won't allow a 3" piece spliced to make it 6". I think it is a terrible install but I think that is allowed or at least arguable.

You didn't answer my question as to what the exception means. If an EGC is needed and 6" is req. then what need is there for the exception.

334.108 is interesting yet central vac jacks have 14/2 with no ground. Go figure.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Cutting Ground Wire

Cutting Ground Wire

I actually have never had a problem with any I have installed. EVER.

I, however, have been in countless that have shorted out. The wirenut is not a bad idea. Me personally, I clip out about 2" long so it can't touch anything. I was just agreeing with the wirenut idea, even though I don't do it

300.14 Length of free Conductors at outlets,Junctions and Switch Points. At least(6") of free conductor measured from the point it emerges from the cable sheath Shall be left at each outlet. page 70-132 also see 90.1 (B) Future use

If you cut the ground at 2" the next guy has to waste time making a pig tail.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation

It is not terminated -- it is dead ended. So what wire would be considered not terminated. According to you it cannot exist because everything is terminated. If it were connected to another wire it would be spliced and if it were connected to a device it would be terminated.

Personally I think the exception should go away and it should be made clearer whether or not a conductor must be 6" without splice. I do think it requires an unspliced 6" but I am not sure everyone sees it that one. Also, if it does req. an egc at every box for future use why then say 310.14 doesn't apply if it is not terminated. It seems like a bad rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.