utility​ provided surge protector.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcanning87

What's the application? 12kV arrestors are only a couple hundred bucks each. Not sure about the install side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

panhandle444

Its residential. Whole house surge protector.

Question is would the utility care if u elect not to rent from them and save a couple bucks

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Its residential. Whole house surge protector.

Question is would the utility care if u elect not to rent from them and save a couple bucks
You won''t be permitted to install it at the meter like some of the ones you rent from the utility are installed. You can install on at your service equipment. The utility has no say about installing one at the service equipment.

kwired

Electron manager
How much is rent?

How well do they provide maintenance, as in how often do they check to see they are still ok?

I'd probably opt out for my own unit if they are going to "rent" it to me, unless maybe rent was 50 cents or less per month, then I may consider it. 50 cents a month is 6 dollars a year, 60 dollars in ten years, 120 dollars in 20 years. If you needed to replace one within that time you are probably either ahead or near break even point on your investment. If you are paying labor to install/replace it you are much more likely to be ahead after 20 years of rent at the rates I mentioned.

gar

Occupation
EE
170604-1350 EDT

panhandle444:

What is a "surge protector", and what do you want it to do?

Does your utility provided unit include insurance? If so what does it cover? What are the technical specifications on any unit you might select, commercial or power company?

How do power company specs compare with commercial units?

What do you want to protect against?

Are whole house units better than point of use, or are both needed?

And I could create more questions.

gar

Occupation
EE
170604-2349 EDT

panhandle444:

You need to understand how a typical surge protector works. Many surge protector simply use one or more MOVs. These work in conjunction with the source impedance feeding the MOV.

Think about how source impedance in combination with an MOV voltage-current curve provides some protection and how good that protection is.

Some MOV curves are at:

http://www.atcsemitec.co.uk/pdfdocs/ThinkingTVRSeries.pdf

Note that the plots are on log-log scales.

Status
Not open for further replies.