Flush mounted enclosure for 22mm switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

I have a client who wants to use two 22mm LED illuminated selector switches to control a couple of 120V circuits associated with an X-Ray machine.

Thing I'm looking at is a GCX Series 22mm Metal Illuminated sold on www.automationdirect.com

Problem is that he wants this to be in a flush mounted box. I can't find a flush mounted box and cover plate suitable for these but can't imagine that this is insurmountable. Can anyone advise?

Thanks,

Mike

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
Use a deep "add-a-box" to get your desired box width. Use a stainless steel blank cover as your faceplate:

https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/m/mzfvM6ZpuPjOdWDjblW9Zew/s-l225.jpg

Punch 7/8" holes (1/2" KO) where you need the switches. Note that stainless is hard to punch cleanly, and a KO punch made specifically for stainless steel is a good choice. Have the punch pull the die from "front to back" to ensure any burr is on the back side of the plate. File as necessary to clean up.

I've done this several times, and it works well. Be sure you use a box deep enough for the terminal blocks you intend to stack up.

SceneryDriver

RumRunner

Occupation
Retired EE
I have a client who wants to use two 22mm LED illuminated selector switches to control a couple of 120V circuits associated with an X-Ray machine.

Thing I'm looking at is a GCX Series 22mm Metal Illuminated sold on www.automationdirect.com

Problem is that he wants this to be in a flush mounted box. I can't find a flush mounted box and cover plate suitable for these but can't imagine that this is insurmountable. Can anyone advise?

Thanks,

Mike

I assume your X-Ray Machines are controlled via contactors—and not directly connected to the switch. . . meaning the selector switch is simply functioning as a pilot with a dedicated control power..

A generic double throw switch DPDT can be used. Use one pole to control the relay (contactor) and the other pole to control the LED. Both mounted in a 2-gang switch box.

There are several LEDs online that operate on 120 Volt. You don't say that your client requires special (stainless steel) plates which means you can use a regular phenolic on bakelite plate.

Keep in mind that this would be a customized assembly that may be outside UL listing.. . . even though your components meet UL safety requirement.

Some AHJ requires a sample before you can get approval. I know for a fact that L.A. Electrical City Code requires it —but may not be required in your locality.

I've done this type work on dental offices and some of them have multiple X-Ray machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.