Commisioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I have been reading up on this. It looks like more a PM thing. What is an electricians level of involvement. I guess it also depends on the systems installed that need commissioning. It seems like a good practice

480sparky

A lot of stuff requires 'commissioning' these days. Lighting controls, dimmer panels, fire alarms, security systems, fire supression, you name it.

How involved you get depends on a lot of factors. Sometimes, you walk through with the commissioning agent and explain stuff, make corrections, change things.....

Other times you install it and that's it.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
A lot of stuff requires 'commissioning' these days. Lighting controls, dimmer panels, fire alarms, security systems, fire supression, you name it.

How involved you get depends on a lot of factors. Sometimes, you walk through with the commissioning agent and explain stuff, make corrections, change things.....

That's what I thought. Thanks Sparky

zog

I have been reading up on this. It looks like more a PM thing. What is an electricians level of involvement. I guess it also depends on the systems installed that need commissioning. It seems like a good practice

Good practie? Yes. Required? Sometimes.

What sort of system are you refering to?

If you are interested I recommend this book, it is "the bible" of power system commisioning.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?index=books&linkCode=qs&keywords=1574446568

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

I understand that the 2010 edition of NFPA 72 is going to heavily emphasize coordinated commissioning for fire alarm systems. You, the HVAC guy, the security guy, the elevator guy, the kitchen suppression guy, the smoke control system guy, the sprinkler guy, and on and on...

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator

brian john

In data centers we will work with a engineering firm, we supply all the test equipment and man power they direct or we will run the whole show...

zog

Thanks. I am helping work on a cogeneration project. Heavy power distribution feeding dist. boards that feed many motors. 500KW power converter units, 2.5 megawatt generator etc.

That sort of system should be commisioned by an independent 3rd party following ANSI/NETA acceptance testing standards.

BJ Conner

Having commissioned a couple of buildings a few process plants here's my take on it.
I go throught the systems and red or yellow (pick your color) line drawings. Is the the thing built like the drawings? If not has the contractor produced "as built" drawings and is it build like that.
Energize control and power systems in a methodical process and make sure control systems works. The system may be wire per the drawing and still not work according to the system description. When that's the case I get the Engineer to fix the drawings and the Electrical Contractor to rework the system ( with a change order).
The end result is systems (electrical power, control and instrumentation) that work like the P&IDs, vendor drawings, system descriptions etc describe.
AND there are accurate drawings turned over to the owner to doccument this.
Remember you get a hundred page manual with a $100 camera or cell phone. An owner who paid $10,000,000 for and electrical system is entitled to a well documented system.

If you come back in 5 years to do some rework on a job that has well documented and the owner has good accurate drawings that job will be a piece of cake.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Having commissioned a couple of buildings a few process plants here's my take on it.
I go throught the systems and red or yellow (pick your color) line drawings. Is the the thing built like the drawings? If not has the contractor produced "as built" drawings and is it build like that.
Energize control and power systems in a methodical process and make sure control systems works. The system may be wire per the drawing and still not work according to the system description. When that's the case I get the Engineer to fix the drawings and the Electrical Contractor to rework the system ( with a change order).
The end result is systems (electrical power, control and instrumentation) that work like the P&IDs, vendor drawings, system descriptions etc describe.
AND there are accurate drawings turned over to the owner to doccument this.
Remember you get a hundred page manual with a $100 camera or cell phone. An owner who paid $10,000,000 for and electrical system is entitled to a well documented system.

If you come back in 5 years to do some rework on a job that has well documented and the owner has good accurate drawings that job will be a piece of cake.

Thanks very much,

Status
Not open for further replies.