Panel in maintenance/mop room

Status
Not open for further replies.
A general building inspector made a fuss about a panel location, (not the city electrical inspector) and it's has made its way through email to me. He stated that I can't have my panel in a "mop room that is only mounted 4" off the ground". On the drawings it is listed as a maintenance room and a mop sink is kitty cornered on the opposite wall around 4ft away from a sub panel (120/208 400 amp). I don't know of any code violation in that, but I never like arguing with an inspector and I wanted a second opinion before I met with him, thanks.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with Dave. Unless he can cite a specific code violation the panel is fine where it is.

publicgood

Panel in maintenance/mop room

Agree - clearance provided, no CODE issue. The only item you may find yourself in is the NEMA for the panel. Is the room, architecturally by wall types or otherwise, considered a wet/damp location? Is there a floor drain within the working space? Is the floor just poured concrete or some sort of anti-slip tile? If yes to any of these, NEMA 1 is not suitable for the environment.

Having said that, we have to ask ourselves: Is this prudent design practice either way? The overwhelming answer has to be no. Mop buckets will be wheeled in/out over a lifetime. Scary.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Agree - clearance provided, no CODE issue. The only item you may find yourself in is the NEMA for the panel. Is the room, architecturally by wall types or otherwise, considered a wet/damp location? Is there a floor drain within the working space? Is the floor just poured concrete or some sort of anti-slip tile? If yes to any of these, NEMA 1 is not suitable for the environment.

Having said that, we have to ask ourselves: Is this prudent design practice either way? The overwhelming answer has to be no. Mop buckets will be wheeled in/out over a lifetime. Scary.

I don't agree that a floor drain, bare concrete floor, or the presence of any particular type of flooring triggers the need for anything other than a NEMA 1 panel.

Maybe not the best design if the mop buckets have to squeeze right past the panel on the way out of the room, but he did say the panel was 4' away from the mop sink. So I don't see any code issues that could be cited.

Thank you for your guys' input and time. I also feel like telling him that this is not a design build project and if he has a problem with the panel location he can call the architect or engineer.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Thank you for your guys' input and time. I also feel like telling him that this is not a design build project and if he has a problem with the panel location he can call the architect or engineer.

That is probably the best approach here. Let them argue it out. If they want it moved then no skin off your nose as you will get paid for it.

On a lighter side (I can't help myself) perhaps that Inspector has no respect for janitors so he considers the slop sink a urinal and a sink in one so he considers this a bathroom.:p:p:p

jumper

I don't agree that a floor drain, bare concrete floor, or the presence of any particular type of flooring triggers the need for anything other than a NEMA 1 panel.

Maybe not the best design if the mop buckets have to squeeze right past the panel on the way out of the room, but he did say the panel was 4' away from the mop sink. So I don't see any code issues that could be cited.

Ditto.

Status
Not open for further replies.