Anyone heard of this before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David916

My 220v electric cooktop has 4 wires -red, black, white, and ground. My home has 3 wires -red, black, and ground.

Then instructions say if my home only has 3 wires to join the reds, join the blacks, and join the grounds and white together.

Does this sound right to you?

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• instructions.jpg
    instructions.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 2

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
This is done all the time when you have a 3 conductor "cable" as a circuit. If you have a metallic conduit as your wiring method and have three conductors coming in, then you need isolate the neutral from the EGC at the Jbox and at the appliance.

Or if you have a 4 conductor cable as your wiring method then you need to make sure the neutral and the EGC are separated.

David916

I'm apprenticing electrician and couldn't find the answer online and remembered my co-worker recommended this site some time ago. The front page states that this site's for electricians, contractors, and apprentices. Thanks for being an ass.

Tried leaving the white wire out and it works perfect. Thank you Edward for being the ONLY one who has any sort of decency.

480sparky

How are you related to the electrical industry?:fixing up my house

I'm apprenticing electrician and couldn't find the answer online and remembered my co-worker recommended this site some time ago. The front page states that this site's for electricians, contractors, and apprentices. Thanks for being an ass.

Tried leaving the white wire out and it works perfect. Thank you Edward for being the ONLY one who has any sort of decency.

You left the white wire from the stove unconnected? :blink:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals

* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.