Dedicated circuit for domestic refrigerator

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Is putting a fridge that draws 4.3 amps on it's own 20 amp circuit really good common sense? I'd say it's wasting the customers money which is bad common "cents".

You cannot argue with the 'more is better' crowd, they convince themselves that anyone that does less is a hack.

esobocinski

Is putting a fridge that draws 4.3 amps on it's own 20 amp circuit really good common sense? I'd say it's wasting the customers money which is bad common "cents".

Yes, and that's exactly why the refrigerator exception exists. 210.52(B)(1) requires that all kitchen receptacles must be on a 20A circuit, but if the fridge has a dedicated circuit then that circuit only can be 15 amps because a refrigerator on it's own doesn't justify anything more.

I can see though why some folks would want to do 20 amps to everything in a kitchen so that appliances could be more easily shuffled in later renovations with minimal rewiring.

Jim W in Tampa

Some of you simply do not get it. The dedicated circuit is NOT because it needs it to run. The problem with putting it on a SA circuit is the other appliances that are on it that might trip the breaker. If not caught when it trips you have food going bad.
I only did this cheap way out once on a 40 unit town house project. Inspector warned me that if on final the frig is there and specs dedicated that he will fail it. All the others got dedicated circuits. Choice is yours but be ready to foot the bill if your wrong.
Not bought a new frig in few years but chances are they all require it now.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Some of you simply do not get it. The dedicated circuit is NOT because it needs it to run. The problem with putting it on a SA circuit is the other appliances that are on it that might trip the breaker. If not caught when it trips you have food going bad.
I usually put the fridge and the dining room on a third SABC, but hopefully the sign that I screw to their refrigerator door will help with your concern:
CAUTION!!!
REFRIGERATOR SHARES A CIRCUIT WITH RECEPTACLES IN THE DINING ROOM!!!
DO NOT START A MICROWAVE, A CROCKPOT AND A TOASTER OVEN AND LEAVE THE COUNTRY FOR THREE WEEKS, YOUR FOOD WILL SPOIL!!!
The sign tends to make the door drag on the floor, but I don't mind as long as I sleep well at night. ;)

growler

Jim I think you are worrying over nothing. Fridges are using less and less power these days.

I was on a kitchen job today where they had a full size fridge that draws 4.3 amps and an undercounter fridge that draws 2.3. Both "recommended" dedicated circuits. I put them both on one 20. I know it is unlikely that there will never be an issue.

You cannot argue with the 'more is better' crowd, they convince themselves that anyone that does less is a hack.

Wait a second here folks. Even Scott did use a seperate circuit for the refrigerators.

Scott knows what is going to be plugged into this circuit and can calculate the total current. He did't add two outside receptacles where the owners could plug in their hedge trimmers or leaf blowers.

The circuit is still decidacted to refrigeration equipment with a known load. It is not a general use circuit.

Jim W in Tampa

Jim I think you are worrying over nothing. Fridges are using less and less power these days.

I was on a kitchen job today where they had a full size fridge that draws 4.3 amps and an undercounter fridge that draws 2.3. Both "recommended" dedicated circuits. I put them both on one 20. I know it is unlikely that there will never be an issue.
And i would have no problem with how you did this as you have a fixed load that should never trip. You only have issue if mfgr requires dedicated. If only suggested then no problem.
As i pointed out it is not the frig load i care about it's the other unknown loads that might trip it.

Jim W in Tampa

I usually put the fridge and the dining room on a third SABC, but hopefully the sign that I screw to their refrigerator door will help with your concern:
The sign tends to make the door drag on the floor, but I don't mind as long as I sleep well at night. ;)

And from being a club owner i can tell you people never care about signs. Even if they read them they ignore them.
If i wire the house your kitchen gets dedicated.
I know wire prices are high and days of 12-2 romex at 5 cents a foot are gone.

iaov

my refrigerator at home pulls 6.4 amps so a dedicated circuit would not be required,an old electrician i know used to put the refrigerator and kitchen lights on the same circuit,i dont see a problem with this at all,but this was before afci breakers came along.and im not talking about custom homes with 20 can lights in the kitchen,im talking about a 1500 sf house with 1 or 2 lights in the kitchen
AFCI's being required are changing the way a lot of houses are being wired and not for the good either.:mad:

Jim W in Tampa

Jim,

I can not see why a 5 amp or less appliance deserves a individual circuit.

Heck, put the coffee maker and clock on the same circuit and you have a warning system.

It has nothing to do with the frig as a load. If it only took 1 amp i still want it dedicated.
Why is as i been saying, it is the other loads that could easily trip that circuit and you might not notice it for hours or even days. Sure you could put an alarm on it and even have it call your cell number. Why spend that over 50 feet of romex,1 breaker and maybe 15 minutes.
I am not arguing what NEC says as it clearly is allowed on a SA circuit.
My only issue with it is what your putting at risk. Do not know whats in your frig put ours usually has a couple hundred dollars worth of food. I have had customers that had extra frig in garage and lost it all to a gfi that triped. I have 2 frigs both on own dedicated circuit. Also have small chest freezer in my pool table / hot tub room that i put on same circuit as the lights in that room and the emergancy exit / light sign. That way if it trips i have warning

This all comes down to going beyond the NEC min. Choice is up to you and your customer. Will admit that with the high price of wire and arc faults that if i was doing track homes i would be cutting corners where ever i could. No argument with you doing what you want to. Its your problem not mine when the breaker trips.

Jim W in Tampa

You have an emergency/exit light in your house?:-?

Wow, you are hard core.

Yes and i am not required to have them. We entertain every Saturday night and have up to 100 people so i simply don't want them at risk if lights go out. I have tripped a 200 amp main a few times and melted the service drop in two.
I usually exceed what is required simply cause that is how i am.

Status
Not open for further replies.