Splicing Extg. Branch Ckts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

My question in NOT regarding the new tap conductor feeding the new EMRP panel.

So the new EMRP panel will feed the extg. branch ckts that were being fed from the (2) RP-T3 panels which are being demolished. In my mind the two option to achieve this are:

1. Remove the interiors from the demolished panels and use them as splice boxes and extend the wring to the new EMRP panels. But I'm not sure if I can do that because I don't have a floor plan so I don't know if the new EMRP panel is going in the same location as the demolished panels.

2. Disconnect the extg. branch circuits. and cut/disconnect the branch conduit to a point on the wall or ceiling, install a splice box and extend from there to new panel.

Sound about right? Thanks.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Capture 2.PNG
    Capture 2.PNG
    14.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Capture 1.jpg
    Capture 1.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 0

active1

Sorry the drawings are too hard for me to read everything and not enough to understand everything going on. One thing I could see was the existing panels were surface mount.

So your question of converting an existing panel to a splice box.
For commercial surface mount I would conciser that sloppy at best.
How long, and how much material would it really take to but a can, j-boxes, or gutter in there?

Like I said I don't have all the details such as wiring methods, distance to next branch circuit box, and branch circuit box location (in ceiling or in wall).

Option 3: Cut the existing raceways, pipe to new panel, & re-pull to new panel. Or if cable, run new cable HR's.
Some situations that's needed such as when no splice boxes can be left in that area.
Such as that's going to be a finished room with a hard lid and the customer does not want extra boxes with blank covers or access hatches.

Option 4: would be a combination of #3 & #4. That's probably what I have done the most. Depending how hard it is to re-pull HR's. Also number of bends before and after rerouting.

I'm not a fan of putting everything in 1 can and the 1 can feeding an entire panel off 1 conduit over 2' long. Due to derating that some seem to ignore. Also for full size panels it can turn into a splice rats nest unless terminal blocks are used. See neutrals shared in these panel cans. I'm all for MWBC's. But what happens is many single circuit cables are run to a can and combined to a MWBC just to go 5-10' into the panel. With all the MWBC code rules now and coming it make since to just keep the neutrals separate the last few feet.

growler

So your question of converting an existing panel to a splice box.
For commercial surface mount I would conciser that sloppy at best.

It don't look that great even for residential. It may be legal and in some cases may be usefull but in most homes I think it causes problems with potential home sales. If the buyer notices it they don't seem to like it at all ( even when they find out about it after buying the house).

In commercial or industrial when you see it done the place was usually a rat's nest to start with and one more bit of sloppy work won't stand out.

active1

Correction,
Option 4: would be a combination of #2 & #3. J-box and new HR's.

I like to look at each branch circuit case by case vs everything is being spliced here even is it runs to a box a few feet away.

Status
Not open for further replies.