Bonding at service

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradbay

We installed a service rated double throw manual transfer switch ahead of our original 400 amp service. Can the bonding stay in the original MDP? The MDP is located adjacent to the new MTS.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You will possibly get different opinions. Off hand I would say bonding should be in the switch, but "service equipment" includes the overload protection so an argument could be made that you are still bonding "service equipment" which is what 250.92 requires.

iwire

Staff member
I am going with no.

230.82 prohibits transfer switches on the supply side of the service disconnecting means so that means the transfer switch has become the service disconnecting means (or you install a new service disconnect on the supply side of the transfer) and the original panel is now a 'sub panel'.

mbeatty

I am going with no.

230.82 prohibits transfer switches on the supply side of the service disconnecting means so that means the transfer switch has become the service disconnecting means (or you install a new service disconnect on the supply side of the transfer) and the original panel is now a 'sub panel'.

I agree completely
Regards,
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.