Square D Breaker-Tie Not Available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmithBuilt

If the circuit is protected by fuses instead of breakers and one blows you still have the other fuse feeding 120 volts into the circuit.

That's true. I was really thinking of breakers in this situation. To some people the breaker may look tripped and then assume the circuit is off. When in reality not. SP breakers not common trip.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
That's true. I was really thinking of breakers in this situation. To some people the breaker may look tripped and then assume the circuit is off. When in reality not. SP breakers not common trip.

This is the reason we carry testers and are qualified individuals.

Roger

220/221

Something tells me you don't own your own business!

:roll:

If you want to use up the 120's, go hustle a few service changes. If you have a good relationship with your supplier just trade them out. They will sell ten boxes of breakers in no time. If you bought them at the Home Depot, even better. No questions asked there.

Last edited by a moderator:

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Did he have enough room on the neutral bus? Or did he double and even triple conductors in each spot?

I never understood the idea of the quad and tandem breakers seen in mobile homes often times. They must get a good price on them otherwise it usually cost me less to just buy a larger panel and use full sized breakers.

Many of the choices the manufacturer makes are to save weight.

Smaller panel adds less weight to the trailer.

davedottcom

:roll:

If you want to use up the 120's, go hustle a few service changes.

I already have plenty of uses for the breakers; Solar PV Inverters, Solar Micro Inverters, Baseboard Heat, Surge Arrestors, Pumps, Motors...etc... I just need the breaker ties!

I'm getting them & you can't stop me! :D

I have hundreds of GE skinny breakers too! HD clearanced them out for .01 for a box of 20! I bought 600 breakers for .30 cents. (Plus tax of course!) The GE breaker ties were easy to find and much cheaper too!

I already have plenty of uses for the breakers; Solar PV Inverters, Solar Micro Inverters, Baseboard Heat, Surge Arrestors, Pumps, Motors...etc... I just need the breaker ties!

I'm getting them & you can't stop me! :D

I have hundreds of GE skinny breakers too! HD clearanced them out for .01 for a box of 20! I bought 600 breakers for .30 cents. (Plus tax of course!) The GE breaker ties were easy to find and much cheaper too!

Skinny GE breakers=only one step above Zinsco & FPE!

davedottcom

Skinny GE breakers=only one step above Zinsco & FPE!

LOL! Yea, they are Not my favorite either but I've never actually had any problem with them once I could get them seated correctly in the panel! But hey, the price was right... I'll never use them all up since a lot of the GE panels today no longer accept them. (Thanks to the AFCI debacle!)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
There are two types of 2-pole breakers, independent trip and common trip. The Square D family is only available as common trip, but as you pointed out other brands may not be.
If you're thinking that typical 2-pole breakers depend on the handle tie to trip together, you're incorrect; both poles would trip even with the handle tie removed. The handle-tie is for manual operation.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
If you're thinking that typical 2-pole breakers depend on the handle tie to trip together, you're incorrect; both poles would trip even with the handle tie removed. The handle-tie is for manual operation.
The handle tie has nothing to do with how the breakers trip, it is for manual switching only. A common trip 2-pole breaker contains an 'internal' tie mechanism between the two poles causing them to operate at the same time. An independent trip 2-pole breaker is nothing more than a factory assembly of two 1-pole breakers connected together, sometimes by rivets.

I believe the vast majority, but not all, of the 2-pole breakers manufactured today are common trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.