Status
Not open for further replies.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Can't view link.

Sorry, maybe it has to be cached.

I provided the link because the pic was too wide.

Here is the pic, sorry about the large size.

attachment.php

360Youth

They say a picture is worth 1000 words, but I say the lack of picture on this post will create many more, most of which will be removed by a moderator. :grin:

hurk27

Sorry, maybe it has to be cached.

I provided the link because the pic was too wide.

Here is the pic, sorry about the large size.

attachment.php

The reason we cant go to the site or view the picture is QRZ forums only allow those with a Ham radio license, and anyone who is not registered (which require your call letters) is IP/cookie blocked, so go to the site and right click on the photo and download it to your computer, then either put it on a hosting site or edit it to a size that can be uploaded here.

If this is a inductive pigs tail electrode type connection to a ground rod, its old hat, that does nothing to help with a lightning strike, and can even cause lightning to jump off and arc to other things around it, it was tested at Camp Blanding.

Last edited:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
The reason we cant go to the site or view the picture is QRZ forums only allow those with a Ham radio license, and anyone who is not registered (which require your call letters) is IP/cookie blocked, so go to the site and right click on the photo and download it to your computer, then either put it on a hosting site or edit it to a size that can be uploaded here.

If this is a inductive pigs tail electrode type connection to a ground rod, its old hat, that does nothing to help with a lightning strike, and can even cause lightning to jump off and arc to other things around it, it was tested at Camp Blanding.

Thanks Wayne!

Yes, the site is QRZ. (Are you a ham? I don't know anyone that isn't that has even heard of QRZ.)

My mission will be as you have indicated, getting the pic to Photobucket.

growler

Well, until I figure out how to get the pic displayed, it was of a solid copper GEC to a rod with a coil about 3 to 4 turns in it, of about an equivalent diameter. I found nothing in 250 that prevented such an installation.

What about the ground rod sticking out of the ground at least a foot? That doesn't look right. :-?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
after seeing the aftermath of a lighting strike on the utility ground wire (which burned a hole in my back yard) I would think that you would get all kinds of arcing at the coils. The one in my back yard just had a piece of tie wire wrapped loosely around the guy wire and it almost burned through the guy wire at that point.

eprice

How is that conductor attached to the rod?

Does that black wire need to be bare or green?

I assume there is a clamp down below the picture.

250.119 requires equipment grounding conductors to be bare or green etc., but this is not an equipment grounding conductor. That section also prohibits the use of green etc. from being used for ungrounded or grounded circuit conductors, but this is not one of those. So, it could have been green, but doesn't have to be.

hurk27

Thanks Wayne!

Yes, the site is QRZ. (Are you a ham? I don't know anyone that isn't that has even heard of QRZ.)

Been called worse:grin:

dabbled long time ago, but I had a commercial second class ticket then, so didn't get into that side, and by the time I was interested 2-meter became too much like a CB:mad:when they opened it to novice.

I did some projects for many around here, like building amps, and antennas, repairing radios, but as the rules say, don't tell anyone:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.