Industrial trucks covered by NEC 70?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puufi

Hello all together,
my name is Alex from Germany.
I am working for a company manufacturing industrial trucks (side-loading fork-lift trucks, platform-trucks).
We got an order from a company based in Washington, USA. This is lifting-Platform on wheels, a cabin for the operator and a rated capacity of 63.000kg.
In Germany it is a machinery.
The customer assigned us to comply with a list of US-standards, inter alia NEC 70.
After a careful consideration of the scope, I am unsure if "our" maschine falls within the scope of this NEC70.
There is mentioned:

(B) Not Covered. This Code does not cover the following:
(l) Installations in ships, watercraft other than floating buildings,
railway rolling stock, aircraft, or automotive vehicles
other than mobile homes and recreational vehicles

Does it mean that the industrial are not covered?
Which is the correct standard for electrical requirements?

Thankfs in advance,

Sincerely,

Alex

lakee911

If your customer is asking you to comply with NEC 70 then I bet he is expecting you to do it...it may just be for good practice, to go above and beyond, etc. There may be other appropriate codes that you need to follow as well.

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
I would ask for clarification. A lot of bid specs are just cut and paste together from various sources and the inclusion of NFPA 70 could have been unintended, On the other hand the could actually mean it as lakee911 has suggested.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I would ask for clarification. A lot of bid specs are just cut and paste together from various sources and the inclusion of NFPA 70 could have been unintended, On the other hand the could actually mean it as lakee911 has suggested.

Ironically, you would be in compliance with the NEC in this case by ignoring the NEC completely. However, it might be best to clarify just what they have in mind. A lot of times specs are cut and pasted together by people who have no clue what they are doing and a big mess ensues. Best to deal with it upfront.

Status
Not open for further replies.