AFCIs in the kitchen

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyerinfl

A local city is making me put AFCIs on the kitchen countertop receptacles. The drawings were originally rejected and I had told the GC on the job that AFCIs weren't required for the kitchen counter receps., but in order to get the city to stamp the prints they are calling out AFCIs on the panel schedule.

Anyone have any input or opinion that would require AFCI protection in the kitchen? Aside that is from the AHJ requiring them.

eprice

A local city is making me put AFCIs on the kitchen countertop receptacles. The drawings were originally rejected and I had told the GC on the job that AFCIs weren't required for the kitchen counter receps., but in order to get the city to stamp the prints they are calling out AFCIs on the panel schedule.

Anyone have any input or opinion that would require AFCI protection in the kitchen? Aside that is from the AHJ requiring them.

A kitchen is not one of the rooms listed in 210.12(B), but that section does add "or similar rooms or areas". In my opinion, it is not the intent that a kitchen be considered similar to any of the listed rooms, but that phrase does introduce a wide latitude for interpretation. You could ask them which room they consider the kitchen to be similar to, and what makes it similar. I don't think that having a floor, walls, and a ceiling is enough to make it similar, or there would have been no point in making the list. It could have just said all rooms.

Hendrix

Anyone have any input or opinion that would require AFCI protection
Only if your SABC left the kitchen and went to the dining room as in exhibit 210.26 in the handbook.

jetlag

Anyone have any input or opinion that would require AFCI protection
Only if your SABC left the kitchen and went to the dining room as in exhibit 210.26 in the handbook.

I cant find it in code now but I was sure there was an exception to arc fault circuits that read rec outlets that are required to have GfCI by code are not required to have afci protection, so that would mean kitchen c top, bath, outside etc would be exempt from afci and that is why they are not listed with the rooms that require afci

Hendrix

I cant find it in code now but I was sure there was an exception to arc fault circuits that read rec outlets that are required to have GfCI by code are not required to have afci protection, so that would mean kitchen c top, bath, outside etc would be exempt from afci and that is why they are not listed with the rooms that require afci

Yes, but if you add your dining rm. recepts to a kitchen counter recept. you need afci and gfci protection.

480sparky

Here's the language:

210.12 Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection.(B) Dwelling Units. All 120-volt, single phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets installed in dwelling unit family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter, combination-type, installed to provide protection of the branch circuit.
You will notice that rooms that require GFCI protection (kitchen, laundry & bath) are not listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.