230.82(8) GFP System Upstream of Main Disconect

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently installing a ground fault protection system in a marina. The manufactures recommendation is that it be connected upstream of the main disconnect. However the A/E on the project has stated that this would be in violation of NEC 230.82(8). I thought that exception number 8, clearly stated that it was permissible to do this, provided there was a proper disconnecting means. Any thoughts?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
That is not "exception number 8." That is item 8 out of 9 in a list of things that can be connected upstream of the service disconnect. Please note that you need overcurrent protection as well as a disconnecting means. I can't see why the A/E would object to your proposed installation.

GFP

GFP

Thanks for the reply. You are exactly right, I should have said item number 8, instead of exception number 8, and overcurrent in addition to a disconnecting means. My thoughts on the disconnecting means was a 2 place breaker panel feed from upstream of the main disconnecting means. This was the exact response:

The proposed installation is not installed as part of the listed equipment.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
This was the exact response:

The proposed installation is not installed as part of the listed equipment.
I don't understand that response. But tell me please, in what sense was that a "response"? Did you submit an RFI, and get this back from the A/E? Was there more to it? This does not say that it violates any specific article. In fact, it says almost nothing. I would agree that your proposed breaker panel is not part of the ground fault protection equipment, as that equipment is described in its listing documentation. True, but irrelevant. You would be connecting other equipment to the GFP equipment in compliance with the manufacturer's recommendation. Sounds like a compliant installation to me.

GFP

GFP

Thanks once again for your reply. Yes, I agree that it is not really a response at all. This was merely part of a list of questions for the A/E to consider when designing this system. This GFP was an after thought to the original design, because the system was already built, we then received a change order to install a GFP. We then complied with the contract drawings as issued. This design then failed due to the fact the CT's were installed on the line side of the system or up stream of the ground/neutral bond. This will be the third time they have designed this service and now, we are asking a lot of questions. As for your question concerning connecting other equipment to the GFP equipment, yes it will be in compliance with the manufacturers recommendations. We asked several times and this is all they will respond with. I appreciate your help and expertise in this matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.