Older SQ D Main Breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Could this breaker (and its main lugs) be listed for 2 sets of wire? It's a 600 amp breaker, so it seems like it would have to be listed for 2 sets of wire. How else would you land 600 amps of wire? A single 1250 KCM?

But the lug openings do appear to be round, not elongated. My understanding was that lugs made for 2 sets of wire are usually elongated, not round.

This is a SQ D "MLW" panel. Sorry, the pictures weren't the greatest, and I didn't get a model number off the breaker itself:

Sq D Panel.jpg
Sq D Panel line lugs.jpg Lug CLose up.jpg

(Yes, I know there are more than two conductors landed on each lug, but please disregard that.)

Also, this is the first time I've seen a panel main breaker that also has load side lugs. Is there anything that would prevent one from using the load side lugs? Yes, I know this looks like its about a #6 wire, but assuming they were properly sized tap conductors, can the load side lugs be used?

load side lugs.jpg

Thanks.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
That appears to be an old brand labeled Westinghouse or ITE breaker. ML panelboards were obsoleted 50 years ago.
The breakers were rated for (1) conductor per hole. 3-hole lugs were available.

Last edited:

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
It is a Sq D panel.

Did Westinghouse make breaker for Sq D? I should have got a label from the breaker.

I believe the panel was probably installed in the 40's or 50's, but its still going strong..

Panel Label.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0145.jpg
    IMG_0145.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 0

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
It is a Sq D panel.

Did Westinghouse make breaker for Sq D? I should have got a label from the breaker.

I believe the panel was probably installed in the 40's or 50's, but its still going strong..

Yes, prior to the mid-60s most of the larger frame breakers were brand labeled.
You would have to look on the side of the breaker for any part number.

Status
Not open for further replies.