15 amp recept circ in kitchen and laundry??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

I posted and asked if a receptacle from 15 amp circuit could be installed in a bathroom if the required receptacle on a 20 amp circuit was there. The answer was yes.

Same question about a laundry room ?

Required laundry recept circ recept is there.

Minor work on a different wall with an existing receptacle on a seperate 15 amp circuit that has to be moved a couple feet.
Can I install that receptacle on that 15 amp circuit? Or do I need to tie into the 20 amp laundry circuit?

While we are at it ....

Let me ask the same question if it were a kitchen outlet and the two appliance were there.

Thank you

user 100

Agree w/ ActionDave, and to expand on what he said, here are the code sections:

For the Kitchen, see 210.52(B)(1) and it's exceptions- note that the passage says "all wall and floor receptacles"...."all counter top receptacles"

For the laundry, see 210.11(C)(2)- this passage only says that a 20a ckt and rec are required, not that all receptacles in the laundry have to fed from the, or a, 20a ckt.

kwired

Electron manager
FYI. The 2017 has an exception now that allows a 15A individual circuit to supply a dedicated appliance in the kitchen now.

210.52(B)(1) exception 2
I think this was just an attempt to clear up confusion on things like dishwashers, disposers, microwaves located in a dedicated space (not one that just sits on regular countertop area), etc. that weren't allowed to be on the SABC's in the first place.

Otherwise the refrigerator is still required to be one of the SABC outlets, it is just allowed to be a 15 amp circuit if it only feeds the refrigerator.

Any outlet in the kitchen, pantry, dining room etc. that is not in a location covered by 210.52 can be on a 15 amp circuit, this leaves you with dedicated appliance outlets (even without the exception), outlets inside cabinets, above cabinets, anything over 5'6" from the floor...

Status
Not open for further replies.