Two 200A feeders coming from the garage to the house: Section 230 violations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fandi

Hello All,
It's a single 400A service in the garage for a single family house. From there, two underground 200A feeders coming to the house: one for the house (panel A), one for the equipment on the roof (panel B). Is that a violation of section 230? My concern is that if there was a fire incident, fire department go to the house, shut off the main breaker of panel A, not knowing panel B is still powering some equipment in the house/roof.
Thanks for your input.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
225.30 only allows one feeder to the structure. Exceptions do apply but it does not sound like it will work to your benefit.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
You still have a problem with the grouping of disconnecting means.

You could install discos at the meter.

If I am not mistaking, the OP has is a single meter main combo panel that has two 200Amp disconnects at the service.

kwired

Electron manager
What if it's an attached garage?
Then you only have one structure and 225 doesn't come into play at all.

There is no limit on how many feeders you can have within that one structure, but a separate structure can only be supplied by one feeder as a general rule.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
If the OP's meter has double lugs he can run a set of conductors to the house and one to the garage. Both are SE cables and they don't have to be grouped.
This is according to 230.40 Exception #3

Exception No. 3: A single-family dwelling unit and a separate
structure shall be permitted to have one set of service entrance
conductors run to each from a single service drop
or lateral.

ETA: I went back and read the OP. I thought he said one to the house and one to the garage. But see he said two to the house, one for the house and one for the rooftop. So it depends on how it's wired and ran at the service.

Status
Not open for further replies.