Not open for further replies.

Gategator37

This was discussed at my recent cont. ed class

Here are some examples of things that will trip an AFCI breaker

1. RF Frequency
2. Fluorescent Dimmers
3. Intermatic photo cells
4. Lutron Dimming Modules
5. Stab-ins (wago's) - not sure if back stabbed receptacles will trip it.
6. Lightolier LV heads - only on siemens
7. Lightning

iwire

Staff member
This was discussed at my recent cont. ed class

Here are some examples of things that will trip an AFCI breaker

I suggest we say here are 7 items that may have tripped a particular AFCI in a particular installation.

Each manufacturers AFCIs respond differently and any one of those trips that were brought up could have been from wiring issues as is more often the case.

None of those 7 items will always trip a AFCI.

raider1

Staff member
I suggest we say here are 7 items that may have tripped a particular AFCI in a particular installation.

Each manufacturers AFCIs respond differently and any one of those trips that were brought up could have been from wiring issues as is more often the case.

None of those 7 items will always trip a AFCI.

Agreed.

I see no substantiation that any of these items will always trip an AFCI device.

I have had an accidental neutral to ground connection in a recessed can cause an AFCI breaker to trip should I add recessed cans to the list?

Chris

Gategator37

Just saying, someone might find this useful in troubleshooting. Nice remarks though, someone might...might find that funny.

raider1

Staff member
Just saying, someone might find this useful in troubleshooting. Nice remarks though, someone might...might find that funny.

Do you have substantiation for your list?

I am just saying that a list of items that "Trip AFCI's" without any substantiation is not really very helpful.

Chris

Gategator37

I did speak very vague, that is all I know of though, I did write these items down, but maybe did not collect enough information. My apologies.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Vacuum cleaners should be at the top of the list.
I would say if "Wagos" are tripping an AFCI, then there is a problem that was over looked in the splice and the AFCI is working correctly. If the Wago is causing an arc (enough to trip the circuit) it would be an issue later without the AFCI.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I use Wago type devices and backstab receptacles on every job and never had a problem. Anything improperly installed will eventually come back and bite you.

Status
Not open for further replies.